Can you become Asexual or are you born that was and it is Post-abuse celibacy?

Brit

I feel nothing toward any sex....empty, void, and at times disgust at the thought of having a relationship. it has been a long time now, and am wondering if I am Asexual. Do you come out as an Asexual, or do people find that wierd?

Although asexuality is viewed as a sexual orientation, most people do not "come out" and announce this.

If you ever experienced sexual feelings towards someone, you are not asexual. Being disgusted with sex because of abuse is NOT the same as having no sexual feelings whatsoever.

13 Myths and Misconceptions About Asexual People: Part One - Queereka Good reading about this subject.

• Author
Although asexuality is viewed as a sexual orientation, most people do not "come out" and announce this.

If you ever experienced sexual feelings towards someone, you are not asexual. Being disgusted with sex because of abuse is NOT the same as having no sexual feelings whatsoever.

13 Myths and Misconceptions About Asexual People: Part One - Queereka Good reading about this subject.

I see where you are coming, but for so long now, I cannot muster any feeling, it is as if my sexual drive is repulsed by even the slight sight of men, zero sexual attraction, numb.

• 4 weeks later...
MrWindupBird

My wife was a victim of sexual abuse as a child.

As a result, she looks for things to distract her while having sex, otherwise it's what she thinks about by default.

This has led to her being very apathetic about sex oftentimes, and I don't always remember the level of hurt she's experienced, so I end up feeling very lonely and unfulfilled due to her being so distant.

I don't know how to fix it. I wish I did. She's tried therapy, and it did nothing.