PTSD or severe anxiety? Does it affect relationships?

Sweett

What is PTSD? Does it just affect military?

What exactly is PTSD? Does it just affect military people? My ex was in the Air Force and has been deployed several times but he has never been in combat .,,just deployed. He spent 4 months in Iraq while we were together, he worked 12 hour days preparing presentations for kernels. He says he didn't do anything but work and sleep. While he was there though he choked an officer and told the man he would kill him!!!

I think he came close to being kicked out of the military but they must've agreed to let him stay in if he got counseling I'm not 100% sure because he hid most if this from me and I found it out from a male friend of his.

After he cheated and left me for the girl I found out from his friend that he choked the officer! I had no idea and his friend was like "something is going on with him but I don't know what and I think they wanna kick him out of the Air Force"

I do know he had issues with panic attacks! What causes these? Does anyone know about these things?

With all this maybe it's best he's gone, I don't know I just think these things possibly contributed to his angry and argumentative non listening behavior or maybe he just hated me and thinks she's better than me perhaps she strokes his ego.

• Like 1

PTSD and severe anxiety surely affects every part of someone's lives.

As the name implies, posttraumatic stress disorder occurs only after (post) an extremely stressful event (trauma). The more severe the trauma and the longer the person is exposed to it, the greater the likelihood of developing PTSD.

PTSD is only diagnosed after a) a person has been exposed to an extreme trauma, b) symptoms develop that last at least one month and c) the symptoms create extreme distress and dysfunction. Three or more of the following characteristics are usually present:

numbing, detachment or absence of emotional response

reduced awareness of surroundings (being dazed)

sensation that surroundings are distorted or unreal

the feeling that you are different, strange or unreal

an inability to remember parts of the trauma.

In addition to three or more of these five characteristics, the traumatic event is relived repeatedly. This can take the form of recurrent images, thoughts, dreams or "flashbacks" of the event. Even reminders of the event can cause extreme distress, so many people go out of their way to avoid places or events that resemble the traumatic event in some ways.

Many experience increased anxiety, restlessness, sleeplessness, irritability, poor concentration, hypervigilance or an exaggerated startle response. Some are even plagued by feelings of "survivor's guilt," because they survived when others did not or because of certain things they may have had to do to survive.

This complete set of symptoms is obviously very disruptive and stressful to the victim as well as their family and loved ones. It can even impair job performance and social functioning.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Forever Learning
PTSD and severe anxiety surely affects every part of someone's lives.

As the name implies, posttraumatic stress disorder occurs only after (post) an extremely stressful event (trauma). The more severe the trauma and the longer the person is exposed to it, the greater the likelihood of developing PTSD.

PTSD is only diagnosed after a) a person has been exposed to an extreme trauma, b) symptoms develop that last at least one month and c) the symptoms create extreme distress and dysfunction. Three or more of the following characteristics are usually present:

numbing, detachment or absence of emotional response

reduced awareness of surroundings (being dazed)

sensation that surroundings are distorted or unreal

the feeling that you are different, strange or unreal

an inability to remember parts of the trauma.

In addition to three or more of these five characteristics, the traumatic event is relived repeatedly. This can take the form of recurrent images, thoughts, dreams or "flashbacks" of the event. Even reminders of the event can cause extreme distress, so many people go out of their way to avoid places or events that resemble the traumatic event in some ways.

Many experience increased anxiety, restlessness, sleeplessness, irritability, poor concentration, hypervigilance or an exaggerated startle response. Some are even plagued by feelings of "survivor's guilt," because they survived when others did not or because of certain things they may have had to do to survive.

This complete set of symptoms is obviously very disruptive and stressful to the victim as well as their family and loved ones. It can even impair job performance and social functioning.

Great post! And super information about PTSD. I have some mild PTSD from my traumatic 16 year marriage. Thanks for the website mention, I shall have to check it out! (PTSDfactsforlife.org

Hey Sweett, to answer question, nope, PTSD is not just something you get from fighting in wars or while in the military. Lots of abuse survivors have it. If your ex-husband was choking folks in the military, he likely has problems dating back to childhood. My ex choked his first wife (but never me, any physical abuse, and I would have left him immediately). That is a childhood abuse thing most likely. And yes, yes, yes, you are better off without him, I have NO DOUBT about that my dear. Continue forward on your healing. All the best to you. :)

Looking back at the latter part of my marriage, I might have had some PTSD symptoms. And, if this is the case, it's pretty sad that my ex FIL criticized me in court as being "very guarded, reserved, and unaffected by things". Talk about adding insult to injury.

I have PTSD from being abused in romantic relationships and as a child.

Medication and therapy have eradicated the nightmares.

The flashbacks come without warning, but I have learned to ground myself in the present by using objects to centre me.

I look at my wedding rings and pictures of my husband to remind my soul of how I far I have come.

I also discuss what I am remembering with my loving husband. I don't do it too much because I don't want our marriage to be all about my sadness.

My severe intimacy and trust issues will likely never go away, but they have lessened a great deal since my husband and I fell in love nearly six years ago. :love: