Crush on coworker older than me

Hey all,

I'm sure this is not a unique situation, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

I was recently assigned to train a guy in my department but I had never actually met him before. I had only seen him around in the hallways. He's about 10 years older than me, give or take. I'm 25 so I think I'm old enough that it isn't a big deal. To my surprise I'm suddenly crushing on him and find myself thinking about him all the time. It has made my workday so much more enjoyable.

Another female coworker has jokingly teased me about it even though I never told her that I have a crush. I think others at work think we "go together" since we have similar interests and similar work background (I do some programming and he does web development). I am mostly certain that he is not married since he wears a ring on his right hand.

Maybe it is just a fantasy of mine and if we are just friends at work, that would still be nice. I am not even sure if he likes me or not, but it is possible. I am not very good at reading signals from men...usually when a guy likes me I'm totally oblivious to it.

Would it really be a bad thing if it turned out that we both like each other? Others at work seem to not mind. They probably think it's cute?

I know it's not advised to date people at work, but it's so hard when you spend 8+ hours in the office with all kinds of people, including members of the opposite sex. How do you manage?

Edited by ambrin
Feelin Frisky

Hi and welcome to LS. I totally identify with what you're experiencing. I actually started a five year relationship with a co-worker when I was 25 too. She was 29. Most people will tell you not to romance with co-workers but bonds just develop that can be so deep. Fortunately or me she didn't work that close--she worked across a large Wall St office and often did work in an annex on the same floor. I suggest that you find out if he's involved with anyone or w/e. This girl hid that she had a son from me for month after we were intimate and making out at every opportunity sneaking around the building and grounds. I was stupid not to find out and truthfully I would have probably not gotten involved with her like that. But by then I just felt like I would be breaking her heart if I made it an issue. But eventually it caused the friction that broke us up. All the best. Be careful.

• Author

So it's been about a week and I think the crush I had is evaporating.

There probably wasn't as much chemistry as I had originally thought there was between us.

Time to date someone that doesn't work where I do! lol.