Is attraction needed in platonic relationships?

The man always looks for the woman for chats. The man isn't gay. They clearly enjoy each other's company.

When a man and woman hit it off, is attraction part of the equation and does it need to be part of the equation?

• Author
Are you asking if he may be attracted to you?

In a way, yes. I mean I know the meaning of platonic relationships but we hit it off so now I'm confused.

In a way, yes. I mean I know the meaning of platonic relationships but we hit it off so now I'm confused.

What do you mean "hit it off?" You get along so well? I get along really well with my female friends too, but there's no romantic interest. Again, there are no rules of attraction to a platonic relationship. You have personalities that are compatible and that is the minimum that I would suggest is required for such a relationship.

Not saying that in your case he may not be interested, but going on your question, having good chemistry is common in both platonic and romantic relationships.

You'll just have to wait and see if there's more.... :)

Thought so. Guess you'll just have to gauge whether or not he's flirting and showing other signs of interest.

• Author
What do you mean "hit it off?" You get along so well? I get along really well with my female friends too, but there's no romantic interest. Again, there are no rules of attraction to a platonic relationship. You have personalities that are compatible and that is the minimum that I would suggest is required for such a relationship.

Not saying that in your case he may not be interested, but going on your question, having good chemistry is common in both platonic and romantic relationships.

You'll just have to wait and see if there's more.... :)

Yes, we get along so well. There's chemistry that some people are wondering what our deal is.

However, sometimes I think I may be falling into the deeper ends of friendzone than moving up the ladder. :(

• Author
Thought so. Guess you'll just have to gauge whether or not he's flirting and showing other signs of interest.

He flirts a little but not in a major way. He teases me and knows some of the things I like.

Sometimes I get the feeling that he thinks of me in a sexual way but that's common since men are prone to think of women that way. Not necessarily that they were going to act on it.

Are you together when you "chat?" Is there physical contact at all? How often do you talk? What subjects? Is he dating?

• Author
Are you together when you "chat?" Is there physical contact at all? How often do you talk? What subjects? Is he dating?

We sometimes chat together, sometimes over the phone or IM. Not much physical contact that I can remember. But sometimes the way he looks at me gives me chill.

We talk about random subjects.

I think he's seeing random people.

• Author
Why don't you meet him to see if there is "chemistry?"

We see each other from time to time.

Does he have a girlfriend?

I think he's seeing random people.

imtooconfused

red shoes, To answer your original question, in a platonic relationship, attraction beyond the casual friendship is toxic and will lead to one of two outcomes; a serious relationship if the attraction is mutual or the eventual destruction of the relationship if the attraction is not matched. I think it's pretty clear why I say that, but I can fill you in if it's not clear to you.

Others in this thread are digging into your feelings within this relationship. You seem to have a pretty good idea about your own feelings. It will fall on you to determine whether the feelings your friend has are mutual.