"What is your intention in wanting my phone #?"

irc333

@EasyHeart

That's because, asking someone if they want to go out with you based on a first meeting is asking for rejection. Furthermore, what says the man is 100% sure about her?

True, but if I'm asking a woman for her phone number, then presumably I've decided I want to ask her out. And you're generally going to ask for her number at the end of the encounter, so nothing is going to change between then and a couple days later when you call her to ask her out.

If she's going to turn you down for a date, isn't it better to get it over with right away. It's a ripping-off-the-bandaid kind of thing.

Well, what were your intentions?

If you wanted to ask her out, just say, "So I can ask you out, silly." If she shoots you down, then you know at that point she's not interested and move on. If she gives you her number, you know she wants to go out with her.

I don't understand why so many of you want to give her some snarky response. What's the point of that?

I was just being humorous.

It is hard to judge a situation without a grasp on the context. Let's assume this is a social engagement where men and women may be mingling and socializing and perhaps flirting.

The sad reality is her deflection is a clear signal she would not be interested in going on a date with you. It is unlikely a witty comeback or jibe is going to change anything.

• Author

Well, there is another update on this, we get to talking on Facebook (chatting), and I mention to her about being one of very few women that had questioned giving me her phone #.

She said, "Well, you never really clear on my intentions about getting her #, wether it be friends or attraction."

She's a Christian woman, and apparently she's very old-school when it comes to dating, so it looks as if intentions must be made now.

She said she'd consider a dinner get together later, but she'll be in touch with me on that at a later time.

I was just being humorous.

It is hard to judge a situation without a grasp on the context. Let's assume this is a social engagement where men and women may be mingling and socializing and perhaps flirting.

The sad reality is her deflection is a clear signal she would not be interested in going on a date with you. It is unlikely a witty comeback or jibe is going to change anything.