This is kind of a weird question

VanessaT.

Whenever i feel very emotional about something, i get a really strong ache in the middle of my left palm. I was just wondering if anybody has ever heard of this before, and why it happens. Thanx very much,

VanT.

When I get really aroused, I end up having a really strong ache in my palm, but usually only after I've been masturbating too much. (OK...that ws really bad, but I had to say it.)

Even though this is not a medical forum, I guess your question is OK. But we are not doctors here so please understand that. While Paulie is busy with other more personal things, I will attempt to answer your question.

My guess is that this pain is the result of some sort of accidental neuroassociative programming. In other words, during some intense emotional situation, you either hit the middle of your left palm with something...perhaps in anger...or otherwise caused a pain in that area. The brain was then trained to send a pain signal to that area of your body whenever you got intensely emotional.

In neurolinguistic programming (NLP), we are able to teach our brain to make associations and to effect behavioral changes according to such programming. Just as Pavlov taught his laboratory animals to salivate at the sound of a bell, you have accidentally taught the nerves in your left palm to send signals to your brain when you become emotional.

You can play all kinds of tricks on your body. Through hypnosis, you can numb certain parts of your body to feel no pain. Many of our daily activities are the result of conditioned response rather than actual decisions on our part. Through selective and intermittent positive reinforcement, we can actually make relationships last much longer. Very often, we aren't even aware that we are doing it.

I have a real problem with it though. I accidentally taught myself to salivate when I see Salma Hayek on TV or in a movie...it's so embarassing. But next time I see her, I will hit my left palm on the edge of the armchair and maybe teach myself to react with a little pain, which would be less embarassing.

I apologize for Paulie, he can be pathetic.

Hi Vanessa,

I talked to a doctor about the same thing about three years ago... the emotional strain can drain our levels of seratonin, a body-produced chemical that gives us the general feeling of "all is okay". So once the chemical is drained, sometimes we feel a weakness, sometimes we feel an ache, some people get small panic attacks.

Anyway, the seratonin is easily maintained through diet that includes many breads and starches: cooked rice or pasta dishes are both excellent sources.

...And Paulie... holey-moley, dear heart, we've got to get you a woman...stop doing that to yourself.