When friend's relationship ends

I have a female friend who has been in a relationship for a few years. Over the past months we have grown much closer as friends, going from acquaintances who knew each other to her being one of my closer friends and my closest female friend. Some time ago I came to the realization that I liked her a more than a friend although I didn't act on it since she was in a relationship. Now she and her boyfriend have separated and I want to help her as best I can but I want to be 'the guy' not 'the rebound'.

todreaminblue
I have a female friend who has been in a relationship for a few years. Over the past months we have grown much closer as friends, going from acquaintances who knew each other to her being one of my closer friends and my closest female friend. Some time ago I came to the realization that I liked her a more than a friend although I didn't act on it since she was in a relationship. Now she and her boyfriend have separated and I want to help her as best I can but I want to be 'the guy' not 'the rebound'.

then let her know how you feel not only that you like her but your concerns as well, lay it out on the table work through it together, if you start a relationship this way, you still have a risk of not being the guy, but you go into with your eyes and heart open, you will have no regrets...i go into a relationship with honesty......i hope i get it back....so do what you want to get back....hopefully you do....best of luck ......deb

• Author

I feel like doing this right away would be more than she wants to handle in tandem with her break up. I want to ask her out on a date and whatnot but I feel like doing so right now would not be good. I was thinking of just inviting her to do something (not like a date right now) and just having a lot of fun with her to keep her mind off the breakup. Would something like that be appropriate?

• Like 1
I feel like doing this right away would be more than she wants to handle in tandem with her break up. I want to ask her out on a date and whatnot but I feel like doing so right now would not be good. I was thinking of just inviting her to do something (not like a date right now) and just having a lot of fun with her to keep her mind off the breakup. Would something like that be appropriate?

Girls (and sometimes guys) tend to be emotionally unavailable immediately after a relationship especially if it was rough. Encourage her to go out and do something fun with you with friends, preferably some of hers. It'll help her move on, see where it goes from there, but do give it some time before trying to pounce.

• Like 1