Age Difference

Amanda

Hi everyone...i was just wondering what some view are on age differences in dating...there is this guy that i like...i'm 19 and he is 30 it doesn't seem like a bid deal to me but alot of people around us think it is...He seems to have every quality i've ever wanted in a a guy. Any advice on whether it may cause trouble down the road somewhere if we do start dating?

Thanx in advance!

*S*

Listen, if you think that it is not a big deal and that you are mature enough, I say go for it. You will regret it if you do not. Plus, eleven years is not too big of a defference to really even matter.

Hi everyone...i was just wondering what some view are on age differences in dating...there is this guy that i like...i'm 19 and he is 30 it doesn't seem like a bid deal to me but alot of people around us think it is...He seems to have every quality i've ever wanted in a a guy. Any advice on whether it may cause trouble down the road somewhere if we do start dating?

Thanx in advance! *S*

Age differences are much more crucial in the 12-20 age range, because so much development happens during that time. It's not quite as big of an issue as we get older, but you do have a distinct situation here. This guy is obviously not someone in your peer group and I doubt he is someone you relate to as well. At 19 you should be starting college.....whereas at 30 this guy should have been in the work force for at least 5 years. With such a substantial difference, one has to wonder what your subconscious intentions are. Often times in situations like this, the woman is seeking more of a father figure than a romantic partner. You'll have to ask yourself about your relationship with parents as you grew up and see if this rings true. Personally, I wouldn't get involved in this situation. Granted, they CAN work out but it is not very likely. Your chances of healthy relationships will be better amongst people on the same wavelength as yourself.

Hey, you wouldn't have to worry about him ever leaving you for a younger woman.....you ARE the younger woman.

Thanx in advance! *S*

Age differences are much more crucial in the 12-20 age range, because so much development happens during that time. It's not quite as big of an issue as we get older, but you do have a distinct situation here. This guy is obviously not someone in your peer group and I doubt he is someone you relate to as well. At 19 you should be starting college.....whereas at 30 this guy should have been in the work force for at least 5 years. With such a substantial difference, one has to wonder what your subconscious intentions are. Often times in situations like this, the woman is seeking more of a father figure than a romantic partner. You'll have to ask yourself about your relationship with parents as you grew up and see if this rings true. Personally, I wouldn't get involved in this situation. Granted, they CAN work out but it is not very likely. Your chances of healthy relationships will be better amongst people on the same wavelength as yourself.

Listen, age does not matter. What matters is that you are happy and that he treats you well. Now if he was old enough to be your father, then that would be diffrent. Hey, I'm dating some who is 15 years older than me, I'm 24 and he's 39, and I very in love with him. Feel better?

Listen, age does not matter. What matters is that you are happy and that he treats you well. Now if he was old enough to be your father, then that would be diffrent. Hey, I'm dating some who is 15 years older than me, I'm 24 and he's 39, and I very in love with him. Feel better?

Thanx alot...it helps to know that it can work...that it isn't doomed from the start as some would have me believe! Congrats on the relationship BTW... *S*

Listen, age does not matter.

What matters is that you are happy and that he treats you well. Now if he was old enough to be your father, then that would be diffrent. Hey, I'm dating some who is 15 years older than me, I'm 24 and he's 39, and I very in love with him. Feel better?

Ah, yet another of the American relationship myths...age does not matter....total nonsense. It's a typical argument for situations like this, and it is simply poor.

Thanx in advance! *S*

I am going on my 3rd year anniversary with a guy 14 years my senior. I was 22, a single mom when I met him. He is a wonderful father to my daughter and a wonderful man to me. Occassionally you may get dirty looks from older women but I think they are just jealous because he's not available anymore. Sometimes an older man is much more mature than guys your own age! Good luck!!

Don't do it. Why can't this guy find someone nearer his own age? Is he trying to relive his youth through you, or does he just desire you sexually? These are things you will not immediately know, but they could be likely.