What Am I Going To Do With My Life?

HelpMeNow

I am feeling pretty depressed today so decided to post here. I am a Senior in High School, but have not planned for college like I should have. The only things that really interest me are law and politics, but I don't how that could translate into a career. What pisses me off is I know I am smarter than some of the clueless people in my A.P. and Honor courses, but they have planned their futures at certain schools already while I have nothing. If I was having a great time in my life I wouldn't be so worried, but I am not. I don't have any friends at my school, only acquantices. Most of them are too shallow or ignorant to form real relationships with, the few good people not wanting to get close to me. My family members, especially cousins, are my real friends. I guess blood is the thickest substance after all.

Do you want to be a lawyer? Would you like to be involved in politics? There are bunches of ways you can be involved in both even if you're not a lawyer or politician.

What newspaper articles do you read first?

What sorts of shows do you watch?

What magazines do you read?

What are your hobbies?

What really energizes you?

Have you considered a paralegal job or a secretary at a law firm, just to get your foot in the door and see if you like it? Some jobs seems really appealing, but once you get there, you may feel otherwise. Don't despair, your options are endless. :)

• Author

Now I have to type up everything I do? Ok, I don't trust newspapers much and rely on the internet for information. Shows, I like educational stuff on PBS, and comedy shows like The Daily Show which use humor to tell truths. Hobbies, not much. I belong to a few school clubs but that it. I try to form relationships with people through their interests but never seem to get anywhere.

It's not that you have to type everything you do, but the things you enjoy are things which you might be able to incorporate into your life goals. For instance, if you like informative TV shows and law, you could be a lawyer who works with TV networks or you could become a legal researcher for a TV show about lawyers. Same with politics and government - you don't have to be a politician; you could get a degree in Public Administration and work in government or you could take a business or law degree and work in or for a political party or an advocacy organization.

As for meeting people you'll like, expect to find people with similar interests in university since you'll be with people already interested in some things you like.

This is one of my favourite sites for career planning. It takes a chunk of work on your part; lots of quizzes and stuff but it might help you get your ideas better sorted out.

http://www.cdm.uwaterloo.ca/

Originally posted by HelpMeNow

I am feeling pretty depressed today so decided to post here. I am a Senior in High School, but have not planned for college like I should have. The only things that really interest me are law and politics, but I don't how that could translate into a career. What pisses me off is I know I am smarter than some of the clueless people in my A.P. and Honor courses, but they have planned their futures at certain schools already while I have nothing. If I was having a great time in my life I wouldn't be so worried, but I am not. I don't have any friends at my school, only acquantices. Most of them are too shallow or ignorant to form real relationships with, the few good people not wanting to get close to me. My family members, especially cousins, are my real friends. I guess blood is the thickest substance after all.

You'll get over it. Do something you WANT to do-college isn't a requirement for a decent life. Neither are friends in High School. You don't HAVE to do something noble with your life, just something you're satisfied with. Flip burgers for 6 months while you figure out what you want. Go backpacking in Australia. Travel.

Law isn't exciting, it's boring with TONS of paperwork. And oodles of research. It has the CAPACITY to be exciting-hell I'd be a judge but it means sweating out the lower ranks of lawyers for YEARS.

I think you should go into customs or immigrations. Always something different.

Don't worry about forming lasting relationships in high school-it's more fun to come back in 10 years and see all the people you didn't like with 3 kids and a huge ass.