Communication gap overcomeable?

I'm a single college sophomore, who's been looking for a girlfriend. Recently, I met a very sweet and cute girl, a Japanese exchange student. I think there's something there; she comes by my room to see me a lot, and we have a very playful kind of relationship. I'd kind of like to ask her out, but it's really hard to communicate with her. She's only been in this country 3 months, and she doesn't know a lot of English. She doesn't know enough to watch an English movie without subtitles. As a result, conversations with her take a very long time, and it's often hard to know exactly what she's saying; I think she's as frustrated by it as I am. It also limits how comfortable I can get around her, because I'm not sure if she'll misinterpret something I say as offensive (I have kind of a weird sense of humor). Should I still try and go for it, or would it not work?

I'm a single college sophomore, who's been looking for a girlfriend. Recently, I met a very sweet and cute girl, a Japanese exchange student. I think there's something there; she comes by my room to see me a lot, and we have a very playful kind of relationship. I'd kind of like to ask her out, but it's really hard to communicate with her. She's only been in this country 3 months, and she doesn't know a lot of English. She doesn't know enough to watch an English movie without subtitles. As a result, conversations with her take a very long time, and it's often hard to know exactly what she's saying; I think she's as frustrated by it as I am. It also limits how comfortable I can get around her, because I'm not sure if she'll misinterpret something I say as offensive (I have kind of a weird sense of humor). Should I still try and go for it, or would it not work?

You should ask her. Look on the bright side, she can't say 'no.' Haha.

In all seriousness, maybe you should wait a while. Wait until she grasps the basics of the English language. I dont think you'll go anywhere... as you said yourself - ' I think she's as frustrated by it as I am. It also limits how comfortable I can get around her, because I'm not sure if she'll misinterpret something I say as offensive (I have kind of a weird sense of humor).'

Hey, I've talked a few Japanese girls that were fresh off the boat. Being that I can speak Japanese, I've heard my share of complaints about relationships and the language barrier. To be honest, the best thing you can do is just hang out with her and keep doin what your doing. She will learn eventually, and helping her out is the kindest thing you can do. You guys will develop a method communication as you go along, even if its not english.

How about you get off your ass and learn some Japanese to comprimise? The exchange students are all lonely. Many get treated like morons cause they can't speak the language...... typical american mentality. But be patient.

If you want to ask her out, there shouldn't be a problem. She probably doesn't have a whole crew of friends to hang out with anyway. Go see somthing that is not language sensitive, like the blue man group or stomp.