Unrelated Question

Paulie

OK...Honest opinion...

My immediate manager (who is about 30), I'm a few years younger has the personality of a rock. It's friday afternoon, I was b.s-ing with a few of my managers about the weekend, and I asked this one particular guy how old he is. He got all sensitive, and told me that's innapropriate in the workplace.

Now...I agree, this is not his prerogative to reveal his age to me, but being only a few years older than me, isn't that a bit...geeky if nothing else?

Man!

Who the hell cares that much, anyway. I just can't believe how tight-*ssed some people are. Loosen up, for the love of God.

Glad you could vent about this here. Your manager is probably a bit sensitive about his age, similar to the way people are about revealing the amount of pay they receive. There are a number of reasons why he may be cautious in giving out his age but in this case it's probably because of his youth and the fact that he is over people who are basically his age.

Yes, it was a bit geeky...but there are some pretty stiff people out there. Don't let this spoil your Christmas. When you have time, ask him where he is from originally and look up his DOB on the Internet site of his county of birth.

Print out the information, make copies, and leave it on everybody's desk...anonymously.