Does he like me (jeez, I sound like a middle schooler!)

Austenite84

I'm a late twenty something who hasn't had much luck in love. When I was an intern one summer during college, I met a guy that I really liked. He had a girlfriend at the time, but we became close friends over the course of the summer. At the end of the program, we went our separate ways but kept in contact through e-mail and social media. I finished grad school and started a job last April. Within a few months, he also got a job with the same company (but at a different site). I've really enjoyed talking to him and reconnecting over the past year, but I'm unsure if he is interested in anything more than friendship. I would like to visit him, but I'm not sure how to broach the subject (or indicate that I am interested in potentially dating).

How do I know if he's interested without asking explicitly (which seems really awkward and might put him in an uncomfortable situation)? Do guys typically make an effort to stay in touch that long with girls they aren't interested in (or is that just wishful thinking on my part)?