Did my best friend start liking me all of a sudden?

purplemania

I met a guy in my college about a year ago. Let's call him Mark. I had a crush on him. We flirted for a month or two, tried dating, and it didn't work out. The most we've ever done at this point was leaning on each other, a bit of hand holding, and a single kiss.

He friendzoned me (yes, a male friendzoning a female). When he told me "we could still be friends", at first I thought "yeah right, get ready to never hear from this guy again."

Conveniently enough though, I entered my past relationship a month or so after that happened (call it a rebound if you will), which has ended 2 and a half months ago.

Meanwhile, it allowed me and Mark to develop a real friendship without all the post-friendzone awkwardness because I had been in another relationship. We actually became best friends and we're super close right now. He started to talk to me about his past relationships, and more intimate things. I can tell he trusts me. We've had a lot of one-on-one outings, and we'll literally talk to each other for hours.

Last night, we went out for drinks with one of our mutual friends whom we'll call Laura. The three of us were sitting together in a private booth in a low-key lounge. Laura suddenly gets up and leaves to go to the bathroom. I had a little to drink so I was feeling more touchy and affectionate by then. I ended up leaning on him, and resting my head against his chest, and instead of pulling away, he wrapped his arms around me and held me there for a minute or so. He would also stroke my head/hair from time to time. (Also, he wasn't drinking if you're wondering)

What you have to know is that Mark is a pretty blunt person. He can be painfully honest at times. The whole friendzoning thing from months ago actually came about when I tried to hold his hand and he sort of pushed me away, and said "You probably shouldn't."

Part of me wants to believe that he knows me and likes me better now, and that him reciprocating my advances meant that part of him realized "hey, I kinda like this", but I'm probably getting ahead of myself, and I'd like to have some insight. :o

Edited by purplemania

The drinking concerns me, as I have been there.

Would you behave this way with Mark without alcohol, would he? Will you both need alcohol to feel comfortable?

• Author
purplemania
The drinking concerns me, as I have been there.

Would you behave this way with Mark without alcohol, would he? Will you both need alcohol to feel comfortable?

He doesn't drink. The drinking is kind of like an alibi for me. It's the only way I can sort of communicate my feelings, and yet still claim that I wasn't all there in my head if it goes wrong.

• Author
purplemania
just ask him if he wants to be more than friends! or show him!

Is it worth getting rejected again? :( Won't it ruin our friendship?