Got nipped in the bud--Need to handle it.

Here's the story.

I met this girl as a classmate in college. I had a relationship with another girl that turned sour (and lost me most of my other friends in the process), and this girl started to get close to me.

We started texting each other every day, from morning til night. Sometimes I started it, sometimes she did. She was dating other guys, but I was still riled up about my breakup. She and I became really good platonic friends.

Eventually, we started going out just for dinner, and were going out once every 2 weeks. When classes started, she sat next to me, and in class, would brush her hand against my arm, and touch her shoes to mine. I took this as a signal to get a bit more serious, and started buying her gifts. We started sharing hobbies and talking more often and going out more.

But then last week, when we were having dinner, she dropped the bomb on me--she had been dating a guy for 7 months and was serious about it, and wanted me to back off because she felt I was reading to much into things and she could sense me wanting to be serious with her. She didn't want to lose the friendship.

I did a bit of soul-searching and I decided that I didn't want to lose her as a friend--no BS here. She was the only one there for me when I was at my lowest, and we really did get along; I don't want to lose that. I can accept the fact that we can't be together.

But the past couple of days at class she's only talked to me, or acknowledged me at all, during class. Not before, not after.

So I guess my questions are these:

1. I know it's impossible to tell online about girls you don't know, but was I really so stupid as to overread those ^^^^ signs?

2. Is it possible to keep the friendship?

3. How do you get over someone who's always going to be close to you almost everyday?

It is possible but only if you have no sexual interest in her anymore.

She is giving you the cold shoulder because she [finally] decided to be serious with her present bf.

I say 'finally' because she literally dropped a bombshell on you, even though her behaviour has been flirty; i really don't think her relationship with this guy will last, since it could be seen that she was playing the field untill only recently.

She has attempted to friendzone you [either that or tell you to 'f off' gently], so either make this work for you [use her as a social pivot], or just move on.