whats the deal

So I've been having a rocky relationship for the past year.friends, not friends,friends again..an so on. we have known each other a long time but tried to start dating a year ago but couldn't get along, mostly because i always ended up feeling played by the guy ( he has admitted in the past to ignoring me on purpose to get a reaction) I'd confront him which would end in us falling out.

So this time we fell out I have met someone else an he went back to his ex..all is good we are now just friends, only randomly a week ago he gets in touch knowing i'm with my boyfriend at 11pm ,saying sorry not been in touch ..how are you!! seeing as it was late i left the reply till the next day, saying yeah no worries, everything is great doing really well an so forth only to then get quite a ****ty short answer, i made a joke about about how talkative he was, for him then to say sorry im busy i promise to talk more soon babe..What the heck..he got in touch with me!!

Then to top it all off he's now started to post pictures on a public social site of his girlfriends breasts an things an using silly captions I've said to him in the past, I'm confused as to what's going on am i being naive in thinking we can be friends??

Thank you for anyone's thoughts on the matter.