"Is that your girlfriend?" (How to respond if casual)?

Antenna_Of_Destiny

I still don't have a tactful way of approaching this. Say you are at a party with someone you are in a casual relationship with. Dates, sex, communication, but no expectation of commitment or long term potential, freedom to see and hook up with other people.

I was at a company barbeque and someone asked me publicly in front of a group if she was my girlfriend.

I looked at her, smiled, and said "I couldn't imagine making a woman think that I'm looking for a girlfriend or a committed relationship, I'm caught up with work, graduate school, and other responsibilities that tax my resources. We are simply two kindred spirits exploring life and the universe when it is mutually satisfying."

I got a lot of awkward stares but "Jane" knew what was going on and made a joke to change the subject.

How would you have approached this situation?

In past situations I would bring a different woman to each social function or event as a way of "showing off" or "displaying high value"; but as I grow older and social functions hold more professional weight down the line I don't know if it is wise to continue doing this.

Edited by Antenna_Of_Destiny
acrosstheuniverse

I'd just say 'oh, we're friends!' you're not denying anything, you're not confirming anything, it's really nobody else's business what you do with your genitals but at the end of the day you are just that... friends (with benefits).