"What? You're engaged?? I never knew you were even dating!"

Ever had people in your social circle get engaged or couple up seriously and you never knew they were even dating?

It's like you missed the bus on that.

Friend of mine, back in the college days, knew of a male and female roomate that claimed they were "just friends" and then all of a sudden made an engagement announcement, throwing everyone off.

She said she even hung around them the most, apparently their relationship was kept secret until the engagmeent announcement.

In fact, the guy that got engaged to said women hit on my friend just a short time before the engagement announcement.

Ever known of "surprise engagements?" Do you put much stock in them?

Everyone has their own level of anonymity when it comes to relationship disclosure. It's one thing to keep a relationship hidden, and another to hide an engagement ring.

Just have to trust that people are making the best decisions for themselves and wish them well. If they have built a strong relationship while telling people they're "just friends" there is no reason the engagement wouldn't last. If they were really just friends recently and jumped to engagement there is a higher likelyhood of there being issues.

Eternal Sunshine

Given the level of gossip and external pressure that goes with being an official couple, I am tempted to never even say I am dating again unless it's super serious.

Sometimes, you want to give a relationship a chance to grow without outside influences and opinions.

• Like 1
  • Author
Given the level of gossip and external pressure that goes with being an official couple, I am tempted to never even say I am dating again unless it's super serious.

Sometimes, you want to give a relationship a chance to grow without outside influences and opinions.

So you never start off your conversations with your personal friends with, "I just started seeing this guy....." and follow it with whatever?

I have had tell people not to tell others in our social circle that they are dating someone, not sure why or what the big secret is of me sharing that info with others.

It's like they feel they will jinx it. lol

Eternal Sunshine
So you never start off your conversations with your personal friends with, "I just started seeing this guy....." and follow it with whatever?

I have had tell people not to tell others in our social circle that they are dating someone, not sure why or what the big secret is of me sharing that info with others.

It's like they feel they will jinx it. lol

I know it's irrational but part of me feels they will jinx it.

It also depends who I am dating. If it's some random guy my friends don't know, I may be more open. If I were dating a mutual friend or a co-worker I would pretty much stay quiet until engagement or at least serious level of commitment.

I used to be very open and payed the price. I learned my lesson.

• Like 2