My best female friend texted me "I love you"

I met this girl earlier this year. We hit it off in a more of a friendship type of way. We have a lot in common, we hang out all the time and talk almost every single day. There was never really any romantic intentions, and we have never even kissed or hooked up. Shes dated other guys, and i have been seeing other girls off and on. We certainly do care about each other though. My best guy friends think her and i are weird that we are not together.

Last night she texted Me saying "I love you" and some other things about how i made her seemingly bad year so good. I texted back "I love you too" and thanked her too. I think she might have been a little drunk when she texted me, but they say people will speak the truth and muster up courage when they are drunk. Was this a friendly "I love you" or is there no real other way around this?

The English language is imprecise. Girls love boys, their parents, their BFFs, puppies & kittens, ice cream etc. Young girls also throw around that word.

Don't automatically assume it means she has romantic feelings for you, especially if it was a drunk text.

Tip: If the female is of sexual age, meaning post puberty, and sexually active, meaning engaging in sexual acts, and tells you they love you and you and the person have never had sex nor any of the actions which progress to it, presume that they love you as a friend.

Having heard those words many, many times in life, and having seen sexual/romantic actions go with them, later to be 'misunderstood', this tip is a no-brainer. IOW, even if she has her hand down your shorts and is telling you she loves you, it's not entirely clear. It never will be. Diminish outcome expectancy. Good luck.

I love my dog and stuffed animals.

We love in many different ways. I agree that if you're not having sex and you're "just friends" take it that she means she loves you as a friend and/or brother.