Is this considered abuse?

peruano99

My dad used to beat my mom when she was younger and married with her. He used to have affairs and beat her for confronting him about it. She never told the police because she was scared of him. Well many years passed, and he didn't hit her since, but now they are living in the same apartment complex and he constantly takes his anger on her, only by words though...screaming at her, belittling her, etc. She said she would like to move away and never see him again and I don't blame her.

Yes. Physical violence is abuse. The yelling at her with what he is saying is verbal abuse. His actions that make her feel completely terrible inside and belittle herself are emotional abuse.

• Like 2

Yes. Physical/verbal and emotional/mental abuse.

Why can't she leave him? Your mother is like my mother although my father in his old age has very much toned down and doesn't scold/yell/belittle her anymore. He's actually regretful for all he did to the family.

• Author
Yes. Physical/verbal and emotional/mental abuse.

Why can't she leave him? Your mother is like my mother although my father in his old age has very much toned down and doesn't scold/yell/belittle her anymore. He's actually regretful for all he did to the family.

My dad is regretful as well, but he just has a really, really bad temper.

Yes, it's still abuse. Even if he has toned down and isn't into hitting her anymore, screaming and belittling someone is abuse.

Why can't she leave him and file for divorce??

• Like 1
I think too much damage has been done. If a man ever did as little as get in my face or spit on me, he would be dead in my eyes that very same day.

I wouldn't be able to talk with someone I have to fear, who doesn't care one bit about my health and safety.

My ex wife spit in my face. It's not something I want to experience again or would wish on anyone.

You know, I've seen that on TV, but never in person nor have had it happen to me. That has to be the most disgusting thing:sick:

• Like 2
My dad used to beat my mom when she was younger and married with her. He used to have affairs and beat her for confronting him about it. She never told the police because she was scared of him. Well many years passed, and he didn't hit her since, but now they are living in the same apartment complex and he constantly takes his anger on her, only by words though...screaming at her, belittling her, etc. She said she would like to move away and never see him again and I don't blame her.

Maybe some would disagree with me, but I see little difference in verbal or physical abuse. They both are meant to harm…prayers for your mom love:(

How do you feel about this?

He's regretful but he's still verbally abusing her and it takes a toll on her mentally and emotionally as well.

Why won't she leave?

• Like 1
My ex wife spit in my face. It's not something I want to experience again or would wish on anyone.
Damn, that must have been very humiliating to you.:sick::(

That's like telling someone you hate them, just like what the character Rose (from Titanic 1997 movie) did to her ex fiance by spitting in his face. She expressed her total hatred and disgust at him but he was an abusive, controlling jerk so no sympathy for him. Sorry to hear to did this to you for no reason.

Edited by samsungxoxo
  • Like 1
  • Author

They are already divorced, they just live close to one another. He still expects her to cook for him every morning, afternoon, but nothing else. They are peruvian so it's kind of their culture for the woman to be a cook.

They are already divorced, they just live close to one another. He still expects her to cook for him every morning, afternoon, but nothing else. They are peruvian so it's kind of their culture for the woman to be a cook.
This makes me feel glad to be raised in the US from an early age all the way till I was 20 (now I'm nearly 27 but in my home country). I'm really an Americanized Hispanic.

I'm still in college over here (no intention of quitting my major, much less for a man). If they're already divorced then I guess there is nothing wrong with just being cordial with each other and for your mother to tell him not to speak to her that way.

• Like 1