A red flag....perhaps

You all have given such great advice, I am now posting a question for a friend of mine.

My friend has been dating her bf for two years. He appears to truly love her, and he is affectionate with her - even in public. So, here is her deal. She started getting suspicious about his behavior: being late for dates, sneaky with his phone, and he has started turning the ringer off on his phone any time they are together. She has not caught him cheating, but her gut feeling is that there is something going on.

She did a search for him online, just to see if anything would show up. His name showed up as a member of a chat site. It wasn't private, so she could see all of his "friends" that he is connected too. Every friend was female, and several live overseas. He had recently updated his online photo too.

Would you think this is harmless or a red flag to their relationship? I told her there is no reason for him to be on an online chat site, chatting with random women if he is dating her. Thoughts?

While I can't say much about the odd phone behavior, I can say this.

I'm a member of loveshack, most of the members seem to be women, and I have my picture uploaded. Does that mean I have ANYTHING going on with these women ?

No.

• Author

It's not a message board. It's strictly a chat site, which is completely different than a message board. On that site, you friend people you want to chat with or private message. If you're not their friend, you cannot chat with them.

Do you still feel the same (that it could still mean there is NOTHING going on)? Her main question is why he has never mentioned that site to her. Why would he talk to strange women behind her back?

It sounds like there is something he isn't getting from his girlfriend that he is seeking elsewhere.

Whether he even tried to communicate that, we can't know.

• Author
It sounds like there is something he isn't getting from his girlfriend that he is seeking elsewhere.

Whether he even tried to communicate that, we can't know.

Good point - I can only know what she tells me.

Yeah, red flag.

Can't say for sure if he's cheating or having an Emotional Affair, but it definitely sounding an inappropriate relationship is happening.

• Like 3