Would you ever go on vacation with someone you just met online?

purplesoccer34

One of my best friends met this guy through a dating website. They have been talking for about 6 months through phone, facebook, and skype. He lives more than 1000 miles from where she lives, but they met in person once--just once, however. They are still talking, and recently he has asked her to go on vacation with her for a whole week. My friend bought her tickets, and she is going out of the country with this guy--even though she met him in person only once.

I'm started to worry a bit, but she reassures me that she has been talking to him consistently for 6 months, and knows him very well. She tells me that I have no reason to be worried, but I'm not sure. Would you be freaking out too, or am I just getting worried for no reason?

Nooo! This sounds like a very risky situation to be in. Maybe because they live so far away from each other it's not as easy to just meet up for a day. But still, she needs to be very careful! ... Talking to someone online for on the phone is not the same as actually seeing them. They could be anyone. I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you, as you are obviously already concerned. But personally, I don't think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

It really isn't safe. People can do a wonderful job of convincing someone to trust them, but it doesn't mean they should be trusted.

She's leaving the country with this guy? No. This is not a good idea and I can't believe she already bought the tickets!! You need to try and talk some sense into this girl

• Like 1

Has she had a background check on this guy?

Maybe she should take someone with her. This could be dangerous.

It's her decision. Devoting six months of one's life to communicating with someone takes a fair amount of effort.

• Like 2

That $ would've been better spent on multiple trips back and forth for the 2 of them to meet in person more.

• Like 3

is it any worse than the stories of women flying cross country to stay at a guy's home that they have never met (guys from online). you can worry for her though, it's not safe no matter how long you've been 'talking' online

I was barely comfortable meeting the guys from on line for a drink so no I can't see myself doing this.

In the past have you known your friend to be a good judge of character? If so you have to let her live her life.