pop pop in the attic

alchemist222

My boyfriend of 1 1/2 years (we dated long distance 10 years ago) sent a text to his ex yesterday saying 'I have pop pop in the attic' which is a reference to the show Arrested Development where that is George Michael's way of saying he is horny. I was so very hurt. My boyfriend knows I only watched season one of that show, so he specifically composed that as a way to say something sexual to her that I would not get. AND this is someone that he knows how I feel about him being in touch with her. ALL of our fights have been about that and we have been in a wonderful phase of our relationship, so I was floored that he would say that to her right now. The thing that makes it even more effed, is that i had told him that it made me sad all the years that we were apart that I didn't get to have sex with him. His response was to text something sexual to that ex that he was having sex with for those years. We live and work together, so I want to be very careful about what I do. We were talking about kids three days ago! This is totally a shock. Plus, do I really want to break up with a guy over pop pop in the attic???? ughh.

• Like 1

Let's rephrase that last sentence. So you really want to stay with somebody who treats you like garbage. He doesn't care what you think about his ex and is obviously using you for comfort now. I don't mean to sounds harsh, but I think it is the only way for you understand that this shouldn't happen in a ideal relationship.

Talk to him about the ordeal and try to remain civil. Sorry for your predicament.

Plus, do I really want to break up with a guy over pop pop in the attic???? ughh.

I can't believe you even wrote that.

He should be taking out his pop pop on you instead of sending it to his ex.

Talking about kids doesn't mean a thing. People will say all sorts of shytt in the moment.

• Like 1
  • Author
alchemist222

Turns out it just means having sex. Michael thought George Michael was having sex with his girlfriend in the attic. But I broke up with my boyfriend & his behavior has shown me that I did the right thing. He's been texting that ex nonstop about how she'll think it's funny that I broke up with him over the exact miscommunication as in the show, but he knew exactly what he was trying to communicate to her. He also told her he's not sure how he feels about us breaking up. But I'm sure he's posturing to get back together with her or for help with a place to stay. Meanwhile, I moved across the country to be with him & not sure what I will do now.

Turns out it just means having sex. Michael thought George Michael was having sex with his girlfriend in the attic. But I broke up with my boyfriend & his behavior has shown me that I did the right thing. He's been texting that ex nonstop about how she'll think it's funny that I broke up with him over the exact miscommunication as in the show, but he knew exactly what he was trying to communicate to her. He also told her he's not sure how he feels about us breaking up. But I'm sure he's posturing to get back together with her or for help with a place to stay. Meanwhile, I moved across the country to be with him & not sure what I will do now.

You did the right thing. If your partner has still active contact with his ex - contact that goes beyond topics like children/co-parenting - always dump him. He cheated on you, might still have feelings for her (or realized too late that he can't have a future with her, but that's something his head has to deal with) and if he doesn't respect your relationship enough to finally end his old one then it's all just a waste of time.

To be honest, I'm afraid your now-ex was dumped by his ex, who could not stand him having a new GF and now calls the doggy back home.

It won't last long, but maybe he'll grow from that experience.

About the "moving across the country" thing, is there no way for you to get back? Relatives, friends?

Edited by No Limit
  • Author
alchemist222

you're right - she did dump him but in a surprising twist, she is standing up for me and telling him he should try to be understanding and compromise. His response was that she was awesome. She replied that he was awesome and she said that she's sure I'm cool too. He replied saying that it will be hard to find someone as cool as her. HER, not me. I'm just a fool. I broke up with him and he's telling HIS EX during our breakup weekend that it will be hard to find someone as cool as her. wtf - I have been livid since I became aware of that... I cannot be civil to him right now.

Thanks so much for those that posted on this. I have moved a few times before coming here where I don't know anyone and am not as close with all my friends from where I lived before.