My best friend

JenRochester0594

JenRochester0594

Everyone finds his/her special someone at some point in their lifetime. This semester, I met a guy named Jack in my hall and we became good friends very quickly. He's everything that I wanted in a guy: funny, unselfish, and friendly. He often treats me like I'm his little sister when he tells me, "You're so young. I can't believe you're still in your teens. Well, here's the thing: we're both in the same grade but his birthday is before mine so he turned 20 a few month earlier than me. But anyway, once we started talking to each other, I would ask him out to dinner and lunch and he would do the same in return. I couldn't remember one dinner or lunch in which we had a dull conversation. We would always joke to each other about our day and laugh about the stupid mistakes both of us made in the past.

Yesterday was his last day on campus; it came as unexpected because he told me a couple of days ago that he's leaving on Sunday. However, his parents want him back home early and they were pushy about it. Before he left, he texted me saying that he has to leave very soon and wondered if I want to say goodbye to him. At that time, I was studying in the library but as soon as he told me that he has to leave soon, I immediately picked up my backpack and started running from the library and back to my dorm. When I got there, he wasn't in the hall so that send me into frenzy. I texted him asking him if he left already. He didn't respond so I called him- he didn't respond either. But as soon as I hanged up, he texted me saying that he's outside at the school bridge. I dashed outside and hurried to the bridge and he was there in his white t-shirt and light-gray pants. The first thing I asked him was: Are you going home today? To my dread, he said "yes". But, before he leaves, he has to spend all of his leftover declining dollars that he still has on his card and asks me if I want to buy anything from the school grocery store. Knowing that I'll no longer see him after yesterday, I said yes and we started walking to the grocery store. On our way, I confessed my friendship feelings toward him, spilling out stuffs that I was afraid to tell him back in April thinking he'll freak out. However, he just smiled at me and said he'll remember me once he comes back to school during the second semester of our junior year due to the fact he'll be studying abroad in the fall. At the grocery store, I picked up two big bags of munchies and some cookies and he brought several shots of 5 hour energy and boxes of granola bars. After we left the store, he asked me if I want some of his granola bars and I said "no" and then blushed. We walked back to the bridge and it was there he told me that he has to go now. However, I didn't want to say goodbye yet to him so I asked him if I could walk with him to his car and then say goodbye to him. He agreed and we crossed the bridge together. As soon as we got to the other side of the bridge, he said goodbye to me and began walking to his car. I turned around and began walking back to campus. But then, just as I turned around to see him driving his car out of the parking lot, he stepped onto the bridge and began walking in the same direction as me! What is he doing?! I stopped and waited for him. As soon as he saw me, he unplugged his earphone and told me that he forgot his TV in his room. We walked back to our dorm and talked a little bit more. It was at the kitchen (where he had to pick up his water container) we said our final farewell and hugged. As he turned to walk out of the kitchen I said to him "I love you as a friend", not caring if he heard me or not. He'll return in spring but it seems so far away for now.

Pleased to hear you've gained a friend. Glad he got to say so long til we meet again. Keep treating him as an endearing friend. They tend to last longer then someone of a love interest. Just goes to affirm there are some young men who can regard a lady. Best to you in your studies.

He'll probably be here on Loveshack any minute asking "What does it mean when a girl says 'I love you as a friend?'"

I think you loves him more than that, girlie. I think you love-loves him. Are you thinking you'll keep texting while he's gone and stay in touch?

• Author
JenRochester0594

I'll definitely stay in touch with him. He's one of few good friends that I have in college. Other guys don't treat me like a true friend like he does.

He'll probably be here on Loveshack any minute asking "What does it mean when a girl says 'I love you as a friend?'"

Yup and then everyone will tell him that he has been friendzone and that he should avoid her and go no contact and move on. :laugh:

• Author
JenRochester0594
By the way, I love relationship that starts off as best friends. Good luck to you, OP.

Haha thanks Valen, I just want to take it slow with him at this point. You see last year, I was hurt by this guy last year really bad and the experience made me think that no guys will ever like me more than a friend so this year, I was more careful than ever.