"friendzoned" for dummies?

I don't understand this. People say: "don't get friendzoned, you'll never get out of it."

How "cookie-cutter" is the human brain? Are people so simple that if they classify you as a "friend," they would never feel a spark, for the reason of the classification in and of itself?

On a side note, I fundamentally don't understand being "friends" with someone who was once a romantic partner. I don't get it. How can you go out and get a beer with someone who used to see you naked, used to cuddle with you, and be yours, and just pretend that didn't happen and you are a platonic "friend."

I think being a friend is different to being "friend zoned".

Friends can grow to find each other mutually attractive, and start a romantic relationship. My current relationship is like that. I don't know how often it happens, but I'm living proof that it sometimes does.

I think being "friend zoned" is a bit different. I'd define that being when the girl only wants to be friends (she might like the guy but does not find him sexually attractive), and the guy pretends he is happy being friends too, but what he's really doing is hanging around hoping she'll change her mind and want to date him. That's deceptive and kind of pathetic.

As to your other question - how do people become friends after having had a relationship - I think it can only be done when both people have completely lost their desire for each other. The acid test is whether they'd be happy or jealous if the other person found a new mate - if they'd be jealous, they're not friends, just people that can't let go.