dentist seemed unusual this time

Patty

Today I have went to the dentist to have my mouth looked at.My gums have been aching and really sore.So the dentist took a look and said there was a slight infection but didnt give me a prescription for a antibiotic.This dont seem right.All the other times I've been there he has given me something right away for the pain.But this time he didnt.It seems kind of odd.Ive mentioned to him,that I'm ready to pass out so it cant be just a small infection.I'm very worried.

If the pain is so bad you are fixing to pass out, go see another dentist IMMEDIATELY.

If there is an infection, you MUST get on an antibiotic NOW. In some rare cases, especially in people with mitral valve prolapse and other heart valve problems they may not even know about, a dental related infection can turn into endocarditis...a very significant infection around the valves of the heart. You don't want this to happen.

GET TREATMENT IMMEDIATELY FROM ANOTHER DENTIST...LIKE RIGHT NOW. If you can't find a dentist open now, call one on an emergency basis or get to a clinic or other overnight medical facility and get on an antibiotic.

Once your gums are healed, be sure to gradually brush them more and more briskly every day while you brush your teeth to get them strong. In older people, gum disease is a primary cause of tooth loss and other dental problems.

Now, there is a possibility your dentist identified another problem with only gum pain as a symptom...but it seems he would have told you about this and asked you to come back. Never leave a doctor or dentist without being very satisfied with their explanation of your complaint.

hi patty,

unfortunately, i am not aware of what your dentist diagnosed your problem as, but perhaps it is likely that you having nothing more than a simple case of gingivitis that can be treated through regular brushing of teeth, antibacterial mouthwash, and flossing. only you will know what your dentist believes the problem to be. i cannot diagnose anything when i am not a doctor or a dentist!

gum disease can be related to many, many health problems and can also be a symptom of many health problems such as diabetes, chron's disease, and even pregnancy. not to mention, a poor diet or a diet high in sugar can cause gum problems.

however, the fact that you feel as though you are going to pass out is obviously of great concern to you. i would suggest going to visit your doctor straight away. it could even be likely that the feeling of being ready to pass out could be unrelated to your dental problems. alternatively, go to another dentist and/or get a referral to a periodontist and nip this in the bud.

Gum disease is a serious problems among adults and kids. I'm not aware of your situation, but in many cases the smallest infection can irritate your gums causing them to be painful.

In an case like that, there's not much a dentist can really do for you. However, if concerned you always should ask your dentist about the conditions of your gums and what is wrong.

Many cases what can happen is you might get some sort of debris jamed in your gum and when you try to pick it out your movement and pressure causes it to go up further in your gum. Eventually though it will work itself out in time or will be eaten up by acids in your gum.

If that is the case, then really the dentist can do much for you. As for pain medicine, about the only thing a Dentist can do is recommend an over the counter medicine that might reduce the pain from the irritated gums.

I would suggest calling a medical doctor and have him write you a prescription for some sort of antibiotic that will kill or reduce the pain. The reason is because Dentists don't have the knowledge of medicines that medical doctores have. The best example I can give is how would you like your family doctor to come in and give you a filling?

So most likely you have just a small infection but is enough to cause you pain. If not that then I would request an xray, what else it could be is maybe the root of your teeth came into contact with a nerve in your gum. When that happens it can cause excruciating pains.

When in doubt, which you are, consult with another dentist. There is nothing wrong with doing so. When you do explain the problem, and be sure you are only wanting to consult to make sure it's nothing. Request an xray be done and ask to have your gums fully checked.

If it turns out it is nothing, consult with your family doctor and request some sort of pain killer that can be used internally. I say internally because obviously if you put it in your mouth or something then it will be internal.

Good luck!

You mentioned that all the *other* times you've been into see your dentist for this, he's giving you an antibiotic. Is there a reason that you have recurring gum pain? Do you have major gingivitis? Receeding gumlines? Problems with abscessing wisdom teeth?

Sounds like you need to find out the root of the problem, if this keeps on happening.

I've had my fair share of abscessed wisdom teeth (which have all been removed now, thank God)...so I know what the pain can be like.

You should seriously call up your local hospital and see if there is a Dentist on Call.......and go in to be seen. Even if you are put onto antibiotics, they will take a day or two to cut down on the infection and ease the pain caused by the infection. Antibiotics don't "take away the pain" per se. They might also give you a prescription for pain killers, like Tylenol #3 (that's if you don't have any allergies to Acetominophen or Codeine). Ask for something. Until then, take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or Aspirin (*** as long as you've taken them before and don't have any allergies to these medications/don't have any preexisting medical conditions that prevent you from safely taking these medications). Just so you know, Tylenol is NOT an anti-inflammatory (though Tyl 3 would be okay because the Codeine is a fairly good pain killer).....

If the pain is so bad that you're going to pass out, do not delay in being seen tonight. I'm not sure why your dentist didn't prescribe anything for the infection. Contrary to what "the dentist" down below wrote, dentists are more than knowledgable when it comes to prescribing necessary antibiotics and appropriate pain killers.......they deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis.

Laurynn, RN