CHICK: what exactly does the word MEAN??

Julia

Certain singers in the late 50's and early 60's, such as Bobby Rydell and Frankie Avalon, used the word "chicks" in their sons as slang for girls...perhaps for the rhyme. It quickly caught on and the beatnic and hippie generations gave it a big boost into the mid and late 60s.

You can download Bobby Rydell's "Swingin' School" from Napster, which is one of the first songs in which chick was used that way.

That's how cool came to mean good. Later on good meant bad and bad meant good. My favorite one now is "wusup", which I think means what brand of ketchup do you like with your french fries.

Guys can acutally call any female a chick, but normally it's reserved for young ones. I don't really think it has to do with how attractive they are. I seriously doubt Janet Reno was every called a chick, though.

It's an affectionate term and no female should take it personally. It's just that sometimes guys get tired of saying girl, female, woman, etc.

Now I do know a few guys who really layed an egg by calling a girl and chick and it offended her.

chick's view (a.k.a. girl's view)

i've never known a guy to use the term "chick" meaning a cute girl. usually that's "babe" or "glamour" or "hottie" or "cute". i've only ever heard guys use the term "chick" in reference to a female: "hot chick", "ugly chick", "drunk chick", "funny chick" etc.

i have no idea about the origins of the word chick, but where i come from, even girls call each other "chick's". i do it all the time. for example, i call a lot of my close female friends "chicky" or "chickadee", although "chickadee" i usually reserve for my little nieces and nephews.

i use "chick" when i am talking about someone i don't know. for example, i could be walking down the street see a girl with a hairstyle i like and i would say to a friend, "i like that chick's haircut", or if i see a cute guy in a crowd and i'm trying to point him out, he might be the one not far from "the chick in the blue shirt".

i don't always call girls "chick's" though. although i do it quite a bit, i can't really say when the moment will take me.

just as long as i don't ever get called a "sheila". ewwwwwww, i can't stand that term!