Facebook "Poke"

What does it mean when a guy sends a girl a poke on facebook?

I'm asking because I received one from a married guy a few months ago. Then I got one from another guy awhile back. Both of these guys I barely know, except from high school, and I barely knew them even then. Then the other day, I got one from my ex-husband. Now, this is a guy that I was married to about 30 yrs ago (we were married for about 7 yrs). We're not close friends but we're friends on facebook and we still like one another because we have known each other since junior high. We weren't suited to be married so I have no regrets about leaving him and he doesn't seem interested in me, either. Basically, I never had the impression that I was truly his type. I'm a brunette and he's really into blondes. And that's still how I see it. There is really no unrequited anything between us at all.

Recently, my ex's mother died and he texted me to let me know about it. At first, I didn't know who was texting me because I lost his phone number a few years ago. Then I figured it out. He told me about the funeral and I went out of respect and support for him (I wasn't a huge fan of his mother). As I was leaving the funeral, I walked up to say goodbye to him. He thanked me again for coming and said he would call me, that we had a lot to talk about. I never heard from him. I've been concerned about him since his mother's death. He has no family left. His dad died a few years ago and his younger brother died in an accident several yrs ago. And now his mom. He isn't married and has no children. Even his dog of 13 yrs died a couple of years ago. It's actually very sad because he's a nice guy.

Anyway, I called him the other day and left a message but never heard back from him. Then I noticed that yesterday, he sent me a poke on facebook. I've honestly never understood this gesture, nor have I ever responded to it, but I especially don't understand it coming from him.

Can anyone enlighten me about this 'poke' gesture? I really don't get it.

could also be a mistake...

I haven't poked anyone by mistake :laugh:... but did friend request someone by mistake.. didn't realize I clicked the button...

• Author
could also be a mistake...

I haven't poked anyone by mistake :laugh:... but did friend request someone by mistake.. didn't realize I clicked the button...

Dang! You're right. It is really easy to accidentally send a friend request on facebook. I've done it before, too.

I doubt that all 3 of those pokes were accidental. The other 2 guys that did it didn't really surprise me but my ex doing it was very bizarre. I guess it was maybe his way of saying he knew I was alive but doesn't really want to talk right now. A simple text would've sufficed. I think pokes are just strange.

You do know that in the Lonesome Dove series, a 'poke' has a very different meaning. :laugh: