stupid question

seiko

I know this might sound stupid but i'm a college foreign exchange student and not very good with english grammar. my question is that a very nice guy whom i'm currently dating sent me an e-mail and at the end he wrote:

Yours and yours alone. and then he signed his name.

is this a way to close a letter in the u.s or is it something romantic he tried to said?

Hi Seiko,

"yours and yours alone" is definitely romantic! He's telling you that he is all yours and no other girl's.

That's a nice way to end the email, isn't it?

That wasn not a stupid question at all. Ask more if you'd like :)

I am happy for you, if this is what you wanted to hear. I am of the European origin also. I used to close my special letters with some similar phrases and it meant that they were special ( the letters and those ones I addressed my letters to).

Thank you sparkle. he just told me he loves me.
I know this might sound stupid but i'm a college foreign exchange student and not very good with english grammar. my question is that a very nice guy whom i'm currently dating sent me an e-mail and at the end he wrote: Yours and yours alone. and then he signed his name. is this a way to close a letter in the u.s or is it something romantic he tried to said?

Oh, to be more like you...yes, it was romantic.

can i just say that i think i think you have a good grasp of english grammar? i mean this seriously. slang or colloquial terms (idiomatic) can be a bit tricky in any language, but what you wrote was very well phrased, considering english is one of the hardest languages to learn. it's not a stupid question at all.

"yours and yours alone", is a romantic term used in the english speaking world, which bascially means, "it's only you i want", or "i'm dedicated to you"....along those lines.

ways to close a letter that are NOT romantic but sound similar are:

yours faithfully

yours sincerely

regards

kind regards

all of the above are more formal ways of closing a letter and are usually used when writing business letters, or when closing a letter to someone you don't know very well. so it's highly unlikely he would sign a letter off with any of the above 4 examples.

then of course, there's "love" *sigh, twinkle in the eye*....and we all know what that means! :)

i hope this has helped you a little bit, seiko :)