Why doesn't society have a place for the second woman?

Why is it that a woman is more likely to leave an unhappy marriage rather than a married man? I know there are exceptions to this rule, but I just wonder why it is that if a married man in an unhappy marriage has a mistress with whom he gets along better, why is she always "hidden"?

Why does't society have a "place" for the "second" woman?

Usually she is always the scapegoat and one to blame in the end when and if the wife finds out? Must it be this way?

An example of this is Monica Lewinsky. Everybody seems to dump on her and make Hillary out to be intouchable.

Why is it that a woman is more likely to leave an unhappy marriage rather than a married man? I know there are exceptions to this rule, but I just wonder why it is that if a married man in an unhappy marriage has a mistress with whom he gets along better, why is she always "hidden"?

Why does't society have a "place" for the "second" woman? Usually she is always the scapegoat and one to blame in the end when and if the wife finds out? Must it be this way? An example of this is Monica Lewinsky. Everybody seems to dump on her and make Hillary out to be intouchable.

I can only guess that it is to do with percieved responabilty, the notion that the man is the provider. This is supported by most courts that seem to penalise a man if he leaves the marital home as opposed to a woman leaving.

Our western society is based on monogomistic relationships and has a low tolerence for poligamy. It also holds to the myth that men who seek extra marital affairs are irresposible and weak. The "other woman" is then blamed for luring him into the affair.

Why does't society have a "place" for the "second" woman? Usually she is always the scapegoat and one to blame in the end when and if the wife finds out? Must it be this way? An example of this is Monica Lewinsky. Everybody seems to dump on her and make Hillary out to be intouchable.

First of all, if your unhappy in your marriage and need to have a mistress to remain happy, your relationship is even more so in jeopardy. Society doesn't have a place for a second woman because, when you are married, you vow to be faithful as long as your together, correct? She's the scapegoat because that's all she deserves to be treated as. Monica Lewinsky is nothing but a slut, in my personal opinion, and Mr. Clinton was rather dumb to sleep with her. She does not deserve the treatment she is getting now. She is highly disrespected to many people. Hillary had hardly anything to do with Clinton's cheating.

Thiamine

• 2 weeks later...

Thiamine,

I think you are far too judgemental to go as far as to call Lewinsky a "slut". This puritanical American society is too full of "black and white" opinions. Life is not as simple as some of us wish and we must look at aberrencies (excuse my terrible spelling)with an open mind. In France and many other European countries it is quite normal for there to be a "second" woman in marriages. An example of this is when former president Francois Mitterand passed away and his wife and mistress stood side by side at the funeral.

I'm just telling you not to be so judgemental because you could end up being the "second" woman one day! Yes, it can happen to anyone.

First of all, if your unhappy in your marriage and need to have a mistress to remain happy, your relationship is even more so in jeopardy. Society doesn't have a place for a second woman because, when you are married, you vow to be faithful as long as your together, correct? She's the scapegoat because that's all she deserves to be treated as. Monica Lewinsky is nothing but a slut, in my personal opinion, and Mr. Clinton was rather dumb to sleep with her. She does not deserve the treatment she is getting now. She is highly disrespected to many people. Hillary had hardly anything to do with Clinton's cheating. Thiamine