Re: Different races/rumors

Tony T

You mentioned what your aunt and uncle think but you said only that your parents had met him once for a few minutes. Are your parents prejudiced. Your aunt and uncle shouldn't really count here.

Your parents should be supportive of your decisions in life, regardless of their own biases and hangups. While it would be nice if family members like your guy, it is NOT essential. You must learn not to let your family interfere in you life. Decide what aspects of your life you want to share in an appropriate way and leave it at that. Don't let anyone tell you how to run your affairs unless you ask them first.

I'm sure if your family sees that you are serious with this guy and you are going to make him a permanent part of your life, they will come to accept him...if they love you.

All the days of your life you will run into small minded people with all kinds of hang ups. You cannot give them the power to mess with your mind. You have to live your own life and choose the people you will be around.

Your guy should be proud of his heritage and he should attend whatever family gatherings there are and hold his head high. If nobody says anything to him and they just ignore him, it will only be a reflection on their low class ways, not on him.

If you love this guy and he treats you well, you should stay with him and to hell with everybody. You don't need family gatherings anyway. They are a real pain sometimes.

My dad is not prejudice, but my mother has said some things in reference to other races before. I think my boyfriend feels that because my mom has heard these rumors about him that she believes them. I just cannot find the right time to even attempt to bring him around because it would be uncomfortable, and also because he also doesn't ever want to go. I can't force him to be around my family (my mom's family), but it seems like if we were to ever get married it would be a very akward situation. And then if we had kids? I mean how could he not go around my mother?