how hard is it to really end a long term relationship?

okay just a random thought and wondering if i could gain some insight...

although this is somewhat related to my other post, it really is something i was rolling around in my head last nite before drifting off to sleep.

can long-term relationships that turn otherwise drug-dependent, abusive, devoid of intimacy, lack of trust, etc... really mess up an otherwise stable person? and what about a rather unstable person? and when i say really mess up...i mean once they are ending/end and the trust is completely ruined..can that completely depress, exhaust, and consume the person into behaving irrationally, immaturely, turning to substances for comfort?

and what about a long-term relationship that does not turn to rely on drugs or other controlling substances. one that just turns sour and falls to pieces?

not trying to over analyze my situation...just a thought that popped in my head last nite regarding ALL people.

and what if you are overly-dependent on the relationship? how about if you are not. however, you become extremely dependent on a relationship regarldess if you are a stable person or not...agreed?

i have not ever maintained a very long relationship. although i have dated many people, been involved with heavy emotions with a few, they have never lasted through that 8 month - year or more marker. always a few months and then gone. im not asking for insight on THAT im just stating that although i understand the pain and self-discovery after ending a long-term relationship, i dont completely understand, as i have never had to recover from it. yes, ive had my share of hurt. and yes, i have had to recover from break-ups, but im wondering that maybe since mine have been so much shorter it has been a bit easier? or maybe i force myself to bounce back quicker. although of course, there are times when the hurting continued for quite some time and i was rebounding for more than a standered healing time. there just isnt a specific length that can be labeled as healing time after a relationship, is there?

just a question and looking for insight............... :)

SuperFantastico

Recovery time varies depending on how it ends. 6 months - 2years i would say.

And yes anyone can succomb to a crappy relationship. Even you :p Just havnt met the wrong guy yet ;)