Told my FWB I loved him

So I am currently heartbroken. I've had a FWB ish relationship with my ex boyfriend (both of us are 18) since we started uni, because neither of us wanted a LDR. We have always been quite 'couply' though when we visited each other, and neither of is really sees other people (I just sometimes get off with guys in clubs). Recently we've been particularly close and I developed really strong feelings for him. I was certain id fallen in love, and because he'd been being really sweet and caring to me I thought he might feel the same.

So I told him, and he didn't say it back. Instead he said he loves me, but wasn't sure he was in love with me. I know he's very emotionally repressed and out of touch with his emotions but surely if he was in love he'd know. He said he felt like a horrible person but that it would change anything between us, he still really really likes me and cares about me etc.

But I don't know what to do. At all. My head is a mess, is it possible for me to carry on as we are? I told him that even though I love him I probably wouldn't want a ldr anyway, but maybe I do and I'm just kidding myself. Any advice would be great :)