• Author
Originally posted by Merin

I'll be interested to see what your Doc says..

Get that night guard made when you can... the one's that are MADE for you fit much better and are more comfortable than the ones you can buy at the drug store...

Yeah, um, the one that my mom gave me from the drugstore looks like a mouthguard a football player would wear.

So I ask the dentist's office (because she's like, um, we've tried to make you one before) how bulky it is. She says it's going to be hard to get used too. It's not real small or anything. GREAT!!!! If it's not as small as a retainer, it'll keep me up. And if I'm all bulkied in the mouf with some ghetto ass guard thing, and my nose is stopped up, how does one breathe?!

• Author
Originally posted by laRubiaBonita

here is an old TMJ post of mine.....maybe it will help too!

GUM!!! That would only make mine worse! The only thing besides pain meds, is just keeping my mouth closed.

and the dentist is the worsy aggrivator of my TMJ.

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t37277/?highlight=tmj

Does yours come and go? Does stress aggrivate it? Or rain?

Originally posted by tiki

Yeah, um, the one that my mom gave me from the drugstore looks like a mouthguard a football player would wear.

So I ask the dentist's office (because she's like, um, we've tried to make you one before) how bulky it is. She says it's going to be hard to get used too. It's not real small or anything. GREAT!!!! If it's not as small as a retainer, it'll keep me up. And if I'm all bulkied in the mouf with some ghetto ass guard thing, and my nose is stopped up, how does one breathe?!

LOL well they aren't small like a retainer.. but they are still a hella lot better than the drug store ones that slop about in your mouth...

Does K notice you grinding at night when you sleep?

• Author
Originally posted by Merin

Does K notice you grinding at night when you sleep?

He's heard me doing it before, but he says not recently. Like it'd wake up his snoring ass anyway. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

blind_otter

The ones i had were like clear plastic thingies I put over the teeth on the top of the mouth. I was easy to get used to. But I chewed holes through mine real fast.

My jaw pops every time I open & close my mouth, but I didn't know it was called anything, however my jaw is never sore or swollen. How does this cause headaches? & you actually have to have surgery to fix it. ouch

• Author

My husband's jaw pops too, I don't think just the popping is TMJ. I think you've gotta have some pain and swelling and crap.

Originally posted by blind_otter

The ones i had were like clear plastic thingies I put over the teeth on the top of the mouth. I was easy to get used to. But I chewed holes through mine real fast.

A piece of wood may work. :laugh:

He's heard me doing it before, but he says not recently. Like it'd wake up his snoring ass anyway. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

:lmao:

laRubiaBonita

Does yours come and go? Does stress aggrivate it? Or rain?

it comes and goes. usually if i chew something hard or really chewy that puts lots of stress on my right jaw.

when i have to keep my mouth open for long periods of time....yes, that includes BJ's (sometimes).

• Author

It's always my right jaw. Rarely my left jaw will hurt in addition. I always chew with my left side only. Weird. It's let up a lot, but still hurts. Damn ENT hasn't called back.

laRubiaBonita

basically, the tendon there is irritated.

you really need to rest it. try not to open your mouth so far when you speak, eat softer things for a few days.

i t will take a few days to a week to calm down....anti-inflammatories should help.

• 2 months later...
  • Author

Just an update you guys...I got a nightguard from my dentist ($230) and used it for the first time last night. Hopefully it'll prevent jaw soreness. I also know of a place you can get them online for a lot cheaper. Just wanted to let you guys know!

I'm hurtin. My coworker gave me some gum to loosen the joint, sometimes that helps, sometimes it makes it worse.

Never chew gum...