Whew......Its a b!tch being a woman....!!!:p

TFY

It kind of is when your body is scrutinized and judged from the age of 13 onward.

Everyone has an opinion about a woman's body :rolleyes:

• Like 4
If you're disgusted by Tess Holliday, that's fine. You don't have to like her picture or buy the magazine.

I'm not disgusted by Tess, I don't know Tess.

I'm disgusted that a deadly lifestyle is being promoted as OK and normal or even desirable.

It kind of is when your body is scrutinized and judged from the age of 13 onward.

Everyone has an opinion about a woman's body :rolleyes:

Yeah. It's the way a guy will point out a flaw as though he's being in some way helpful or insightful. "Oh really? I never knew that about my own body that's been subject to assessment and fault finding missions ever since I hit puberty."

• Like 2
Yeah. It's the way a guy will point out a flaw as though he's being in some way helpful or insightful. "Oh really? I never knew that about my own body that's been subject to assessment and fault finding missions ever since I hit puberty."

Where has anyone in this thread pointed out a flaw in any other forum member? Except when they are digging at me, I mean.

thefooloftheyear

This thread notwithstanding, A woman's worst critic is actually other women..And it actually starts quite young...My daughter is only 12 and while she doesn't do it(at least I hope not), these girls are cutting the shyt out of each other....Its brutal!

TFY

• Like 1
Where has anyone in this thread pointed out a flaw in any other forum member? Except when they are digging at me, I mean.

We're not necessarily talking about this thread. Stuff like this taps into women's personal experiences of body shaming...which tends to start at a very early age.

• Like 2
I'm not disgusted by Tess, I don't know Tess.

I'm disgusted that a deadly lifestyle is being promoted as OK and normal or even desirable.

How so?

She models clothing for women her size. Should clothing that size not be modeled? Or should those models do their best to apologize for their size?

• Like 1
This thread notwithstanding, A woman's worst critic is actually other women..And it actually starts quite young...My daughter is only 12 and while she doesn't do it(at least I hope not), these girls are cutting the shyt out of each other....Its brutal!

TFY

I see this quite a lot as well in the industry i work in. I rarely agree with you...

But...

`I`ll leave now`...

How so?

She models clothing for women her size. Should clothing that size not be modeled? Or should those models do their best to apologize for their size?

The article in question isn't her modelling. I'm glad she can support herself and hope she can cover her eventual (probably sooner than later) medical expenses.

It's glorifying being enormous as if it's admirable. That is disgusting.

"Not only is she gorgeous, but at 5-feet-5, 280 pounds and a size 22, she looks a great deal more like me than most other models, even among plus-size ones.

Which is why I was thrilled to learn that Holliday -- who captured headlines when she became the first model of her stature to sign with a major modeling agency -- made the cover of People magazine. There she was, in all her bountiful glory, with the headline "The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!""

TFY

This is somewhat true, but doesn't decrease the reality of body image issues women carry.

Tess Holliday has spoken out about the bullying she experienced as a teen. It obviously didn't help her lose the weight. She's interested in helping girls currently going through the same thing feel better about themselves, which easily could help them achieve healthier weights in the long run.

Michelle ma Belle
The article in question isn't her modelling. I'm glad she can support herself and hope she can cover her eventual (probably sooner than later) medical expenses.

[/i]

As someone who confessed to having to work hard at being thin as it doesn't come naturally, you better hope Karma doesn't have your address.

Your choice of words are beyond bru-tal.

• Like 4

"Not only is she gorgeous, but at 5-feet-5, 280 pounds and a size 22, she looks a great deal more like me than most other models, even among plus-size ones.

Which is why I was thrilled to learn that Holliday -- who captured headlines when she became the first model of her stature to sign with a major modeling agency -- made the cover of People magazine. There she was, in all her bountiful glory, with the headline "The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!""

Again, how should she model without glorifying?

Size 22 women have money and buy clothing. Size 22 models exist, but for some reason haven't been signed by a major modeling agency--despite the business potential. Now one has. Size 22 women are happy about it.

Average sized women aren't affected at all.

• Like 1

TFY

Yes, absolutely - a lot of it comes from other girls. I've a friend who has struggled with anorexia and bulimia (but more bulimia) for years. Actually, I don't know why I'm saying "struggled with". The reality is that she embraces it as a lifestyle choice which other people shouldn't interfere with. Even at times she's close to death. Those are women who fat shaming certainly "works" on....though as a trigger for an existing condition, more than anything else. A couple of times in my life I've heard guys actually boast about "giving" a woman an eating disorder, but I think the reality is that it's one of these things that often starts in the teen years through activities like dancing or athletics where there's a major emphasis on being very slim. Those are often quite female dominated activities. Dancing, modelling etc.

And absolutely...fat shaming will trigger women like that into getting down to as low a BMI as they can. And the triggering often comes from other women. For me, I associate it more with men because of my brother and father. That said, I never developed an eating disorder. I just thought they were being idiots....and they were even more critical when I went below what they considered to be the right weight. When I think on it, I suppose I tend to expect men to be more focused on women of a healthy weight being attractive...whereas women will often hold the fashion model look as the ideal one.

But women do at least understand that the look of women's bodies are often largely dictated by hereditary or ethnic factors.

Exercise can achieve certain changes, but there's a limit to what it can change....and in that sense, women will be more forgiving of flaws. More likely, maybe, to recognise when a woman's worked really hard to get into shape and congratulate her for it. Whereas a man will be "could do better" if that woman isn't naturally predisposed to the shape he considers ideal.

One thing I will say is that in the US I think there's a bit more scope for women to work towards a body shape that's popularly considered desirable. On account of the popularity of athletic shapes. That look is far less popular in the UK, though maybe things are changing a bit. At times, in the last hundred years or so, that Britain has gone through one of its "cool" phases, those times have generally been associated with an androgynous, waif like appearance. The 1920s, 1960s and 1990s particularly spring to mind.

The emphasis on "strong" in the US is a good counter to that. And I think there has always been that difference. When I was a teen I can remember thinking that I wished I was in the US, because there seemed to be a more positive perception of strong, athletic women as opposed to the emphasis being on waif like women being the only truly beautiful ones.

Edited by Taramere
  • Like 1
As someone who confessed to having to work hard at being thin as it doesn't come naturally, you better hope Karma doesn't have your address.

Your choice of words are beyond bru-tal.

Again, how does my calling a op-ed piece disgusting have any karmic significance?

Again, how should she model without glorifying?

Her modelling is her work. The op-ed article is disgusting.

YWhereas a man will be "could do better" if that woman isn't naturally predisposed to the shape he considers ideal.

I do think that women are more nit-picky about women's bodies.

But men seem to derive more of their self-worth from the body of their partner than their own bodies, and that's messed up.

• Like 2

Her modelling is her work. The op-ed article is disgusting.

It's disgusting that a size 22 woman thinks another size 22 woman is gorgeous?

Where do you see me commenting on what the author thinks? How would I know what she's thinking?

todreaminblue

really.........as one size 22 woman i said she was courageous......for i could never do that...i dont need to be fat shamed.....i am already ashamed...i dont accept my body i am ex military and a dancer...psyche medication played havoc with my body.....

....does that mean i should feel ashamed walking into a hospital to be shamed by nurses or doctors...... or at a bus stop or any other place...or ridiculed for actually being alive but overweight..........and thought disgusting......tub of lard .....stop eating......spat on ...stoned ...what......what is enough...how much is enough.....as a kid i was spat on adn stoned......surely its a crime to make me feel good about being in the world...and what gives any person the right to ridicule and belittle me..as child....or a teen ....or a woman.........

for all the years i have been on this board i have never felt worse than reading some of the replies in this thread.....from people i actually respected for being compassionate insightful people......i guess i was wrong......

its alright to not be attracted to people who are overweight its never alright or is it helpful to ridicule people to make them feel less worthy of airspace than yourself......who are you all to do so......think youre better......well ..you might be physically fitter and look hot on the outside..........but your brains and hearts...they actually need exercise.....to be the best person you can be.....isnt that what it is about? being the best you can be...not shamign others.....

i think the lady in the picture has a really pretty face.......

have you ever seen anyone ridicule another......or put down another......something happens to their faces......they become quite ugly...their eyes narrow to slits, they look dead, their mouths do strange things.....and their voices sound harsh and grating and just plain hard to lsiten to....because its horrible./.......and well ugly......not pretty....or beautiful or attractive or in any way desirable....i may have a fat face....but my eyes and voice and mouth.......will never twist that way........im out of this thread......i wish you all well.......deb

• Like 1
Where do you see me commenting on what the author thinks? How would I know what she's thinking?

Everything quoted below is the author's opinion. She is speaking about herself when she says "looks a great deal more like me" and "I was thrilled".

Everything quoted below is the author's opinion. She is speaking about herself when she says "looks a great deal more like me" and "I was thrilled".

It's the published version of the authors opinion. The opinion is fine, publishing a piece that is encouraging this sort of thing is not. I can think that heroin is fantastic, and promotes dental health. That's my business. If I publish that, it goes beyond being my business, and the wider spread it becomes the less my business and the more a matter of public concern it is.

Michelle ma Belle
Again, how does my calling a op-ed piece disgusting have any karmic significance?

Because your tone has been nothing but aggressive. It's one thing to disagree with an article or feel concerned or uncomfortable with what is being discussed and it's another thing to use language like "disgusting" and make assumptions and generalizations like you're some kind of authority on the subject. You come across as angry not to mention very insensitive particularly with regards to members who are dealing with their own weight issues.

As for the karmic significance, it's just that. What comes around goes around. Your approach has been hurtful to many members who've been responding to this thread regardless if they're plus sized or not. At the end of the day, it's body shaming whether you want to see it or or not.

As WOMEN, I think we need to be much more supportive of each other even if we don't always agree on every point, but especially when it comes to body image issues.

There are enough critics out their tearing us down that we don't need to turn on each other as well.

• Like 4

Tess Holliday in the Huffington post today.

she explained: “I understand not everyone understands what I’m about. But to me it’s such a simple concept. It’s all about loving your body regardless of your size and chasing your dreams.“Everybody deserves to be happy but for some reason the fact that I happen to be plus size and happy seems to bother people. It’s odd really.”

To those women who experience negative body image issues, Tess’s message is firm: “Surround yourself with positive, like-minded people who support you. It’s crucial to your happiness and well-being. Never compare yourself to others and celebrate what makes you, YOU.”

Makes perfect sense to me.

Gay males and straight women run these magazines and the fashion world in general so I never got why straight males got so much blame

• Like 2
Rejected Rosebud
If you're disgusted by Tess Holliday, that's fine. You don't have to like her picture or buy the magazine.

But to extrapolate that her image is going to somehow encourage women to be obese is absurd. Obese women are happy to see someone who looks like them in the media, to feel good about themselves. Average weight women already have that. Fit women see themselves glorified daily and everywhere. Where is the motivation to become obese?

I have no idea at all why the weight of other peoples' bodies ESPECIALLY WOMEN's are anybody else's business at all. I don't even understand how a person can have an opinion about a fat lady model other than maybe they think she looks gross or pretty. This just weirds me out.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear

I saw something recently about a young woman with Down's Syndrome launching a modeling career...

At the end of the day, all of this stuff might just be another manifestation of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that's pretty much the norm now..

if its not your bag, just ignore it...

*shrug*

TFY

• Like 3