serial muse
This really misses the point.

We are not facing an increase in drug use and a resultant health crisis.

We are facing rapidly rising trends in type 2 diabetes and heart disease, both of which are directly attributable to steady increases in average weight in both genders. The economic costs are staggering.

It's ironic that most people have no problem seeing smoking for the unhealthy habit it is, but many resist acknowledging that over-eating is just as unhealthy. Instead, we frame the discussion of weight around appearance, which does a disservice to all, imo.

Uh huh. How wrong you are.

• Like 2

It's not looking good. 1st world problem, obviously...

Humans like eating.

Food tastes good.

We are rich.

We can buy an abundance of food

We are in a free society so we can eat what we want, when we want it.

We are entitled to it.

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77
Humans like eating.

Food tastes good.

We are rich.

We are entitled to it.

Sure thing :).

I'm in no way criticising btw, and 1st world doesn't mean rich by any stretch of the imagination. If you've read the articles, you'll see that obesity is now more prevalent in families with the poorest revenues, especially in the UK. I'm not on a crusade or anything, just giving some references with facts and some context for those who are interested, that's it :).

thefooloftheyear
Humans like eating.

Food tastes good.

We are rich.

We are entitled to it.

I dunno, Elaine....

I live in an affluent hood and everyone here is in pretty decent to average shape, most don't drink and practically no one smokes...

Go to the poorer parts of town and it's the complete opposite..

Irony, I suppose??

TFY

I think the obsession with dieting and fitness plays a major role in the development of eating disorders generally. overweight without jeopardising her health at all - contrary to people who think we should all look like we're training for a marathon.

That's the sad thing because as you and anyone that weighttrains know, you ARE supposed to eat and skinny isn't what you aspire to. I still meet so many women in the gym who just want a thigh-gap and to lose their ass completely. Why?

• Like 3
autumnnight

I'm in no way criticising btw, and 1st world doesn't mean rich by any stretch of the imagination. If you've read the articles, you'll see that obesity is now more prevalent in families with the poorest revenues, especially in the UK. I'm not on a crusade or anything, just giving some references with facts and some context for those who are interested, that's it :).

I think one reason that poorer families tend to be more obese at times is because of cost. People can argue all they want, but in most grocery stores healthy food costs more. That is a shame, IMO.

• Like 3
I think one reason that poorer families tend to be more obese at times is because of cost. People can argue all they want, but in most grocery stores healthy food costs more. That is a shame, IMO.

I hear this a lot but I think many don't know how to cook from fresh. I live in s poor area and many families buy processed food. It's rare to see a trolley just full of basic cooking ingredients - that usually work out cheaper over a week, certainly over a month. They tend to buy alcohol though so can't be that poor.

• Like 2
PrettyEmily77

Yep. Cost and time (or lack thereof).

• Like 1
I dunno, Elaine....

I live in an affluent hood and everyone here is in pretty decent to average shape, most don't drink and practically no one smokes...

Irony, I suppose??

TFY

I guess when you are in a poor neighborhood you need to prove you are eating. IMO this is why being overweight (speaking esp for women here) is more acceptable in poor areas rather than rich ones. I live in a rural-ish area, and there are fast food joints everywhere. Why cook (except for the fact that spending $$$ on fast food makes you poorer)? Some richer areas have strict zoning rules, and only so many fast food joints are allowed in an area.

I do agree, healthy lifestyle is more of a rich people thing.

I find that people in poor areas isolate themselves from what is available to most in affluent countries. They give up on education and remain dependent on the state. In my local library you see people in their 30s who don't know how to do a simple google search. I live in a part that's very close to Central London and the City. A completely isolated, different world though for many.

I hear this a lot but I think many don't know how to cook from fresh. I live in s poor area and many families buy processed food. It's rare to see a trolley just full of basic cooking ingredients - that usually work out cheaper over a week, certainly over a month. They tend to buy alcohol though so can't be that poor.

Yep. Really, someone could live Ok on a dietary staples like rice and beans, then use to extra money to but a lil meat and veggies, but I guess that's not how people think. All of the processed foods, eating out, cigs, booze adds up esp if one is already impoverished. The rich person can afford to go out starbucks everyday and eat out several days a week...because they're rich...

• Like 2
Yep. Really, someone could live Ok on a dietary staples like rice and beans, then use to extra money to but a lil meat and veggies, but I guess that's not how people think. All of the processed foods, eating out, cigs, booze adds up esp if one is already impoverished. The rich person can afford to go out starbucks everyday and eat out several days a week...because they're rich...

It's the lack of critical thinking. If they thought that way, they wouldn't be poor...

• Like 3

I disagree with y'all blaming processed food. It doesn't matter it is, it can be grilled fish and steamed rice, you can't eat that much of it. I used to work with a bunch of women who were the pickiest eaters, they wouldn't even eat bread and they never lost a pound.

PrettyEmily77
Proof that just because you're overweight, doesn't mean you're not practicing a healthy lifestyle.

Yoga Teacher

https://instagram.com/mynameisjessamyn/

How This Badass Yogi Is Teaching Women To Love Their Bodies

Of course it doesn't, in the same way as being slim doesn't mean you are healthy either.

We should all accept and respect people's choices, and support and encourage those who aren't happy and want to change, not shame and ridicule them. It's such an emotional issue (and rightly so, because it's so personal) that sometimes it's difficult to voice an opinion without antagonizing anyone.

The facts are that now people are more overweight than they were 30 years ago, and have never been bigger. Understanding why, wondering how big an issue it is (or if it is an issue at all - it may not be) may help some of us have a more informed opinion.

Yes but even the poor in 1st world countries tend not to be literally starving.

"Poor" food tends to be energy rich - carbs, fat and sugar and what can be seen as "comfort" food.

Cheaper ingredients and processed foods vs the nuts, fruits, vegetables, and the leaner first class proteins of the better off.

• Like 2
pureinheart

IDK, to say that due to being 'poor' (and first we need to define what poor actually is in America), healthy food is unaffordable. I can't buy that one, literally.

Botton line, healthy food takes longer to prepare and doesn't taste (in some cases) as good as the processed.

• Like 2
I disagree with y'all blaming processed food. It doesn't matter it is, it can be grilled fish and steamed rice, you can't eat that much of it. I used to work with a bunch of women who were the pickiest eaters, they wouldn't even eat bread and they never lost a pound.

Sure it's not the only factor but it's major. Diet is probably 70-80% for your weight, the rest is exercise.

Sure it's not the only factor but it's major. Diet is probably 70-80% for your weight, the rest is exercise.

That's about right. I was just saying, you can whatever you want, but it has to be one serving about 500 calories.

The facts are that now people are more overweight than they were 30 years ago, and have never been bigger. Understanding why, wondering how big an issue it is (or if it is an issue at all - it may not be) may help some of us have a more informed opinion.

Driving everywhere + processed food + machine-assisted housework (hoover, washing machine, dishwasher) + office work or no work + television. In other words, laziness.

• Like 2
Driving everywhere + processed food x3 + machine-assisted housework (hoover, washing machine, dishwasher) + office work or no work + television. In other words, laziness.

I added one thing.

Driving everywhere + processed food + machine-assisted housework (hoover, washing machine, dishwasher) + office work or no work + television. In other words, laziness.

All true as causes of obesity, but if it's all you know, is it laziness?

A person can be a very hard worker and not be physically active or eat a healthy diet. So much of this is learned in childhood, and habits and preferences are set for life if the individual doesn't make a huge, intentional shift.

My husband was raised with some unhealthy habits. I was raised with healthier ones. I tried very hard, when our kids were small, to keep my husband from passing those habits on to them because that's what he associated with "happy childhood". It finally clicked with him. The chain is broken.

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77

+ stress + long commutes + broken family units + larger portions of everything (30% in 20 years for a curry, forex) + emotional / mental issues = not so simple.

Edited by PrettyEmily77
How much different is it when you put Calista Flockhart on the cover and fawn over how slim she is?

I don't see a bunch of articles pointing to ultra slim models and how fantastic their dietary choices are, first of all. Quite the opposite in fact. In the checkout lines I do see what I would consider quite thin models on fashion mags, and healthy weight models on other magazines telling how they just lost 15 pounds. I don't see any super thin models being praised or promoting "how I lost 30 pounds via vomiting and heroin", ever.

Second, I'm not an expert on celebrities, and I do know that Ms Flockhart was quite slim, but is it a fact she was actually so slim she was unhealthy? A popular British personality has said something like "body like a surfboard" about a slim actress, which doesn't sound like praise. But the actress in question looks perfectly healthy to me, just quite slim.

A BMI of 47 is way past aesthetically unpleasant.

I was reading about the fat acceptance movement, and it seemed as though some of the women who came into contact with it felt under pressure to deny that they did in fact have an eating disorder. I can see shades of the pro-ana/pro-mia "it's a lifestyle choice" thinking there. I think it's a worry if models like Tess Holliday somehow become part of a promotion to deny that over-eating can be a disordered behaviour in the same way that starving and purging can be. Healthy eating is the best lifestyle choice.

....I do wonder if there are some pretty dodgy ideas being pushed by the fat acceptance movement.

I don't know if Tess herself is pushing her lifestyle as a good thing, but the article in the OP was definitely on that track.

To be fair, there really is no poor part of town in America. Actual poor people can't get enough calories to be fat.

It's because our poverty is extremely well fed, calorically speaking. Good quality food doesn't cost more in money, but the ingredients do need to be combined prperly, which takes time and skill. A lot of poor people won't spend the time, and don't have the skill.

It's the lack of critical thinking. If they thought that way, they wouldn't be poor...

Probably true. Are you and I poverty shaming now?

Yes but even the poor in 1st world countries tend not to be literally starving.

This.

• Like 2