My interest in him goes from High to Low..

I have a guy friend, I originally met him online. I know, since I met him on a dating site -- OKC -- that some might not say he's a friend under those circumstances. Thus for lack of my knowing what else to identify him as, I have to go with this title currently.

I would say we met about 9-10 months ago. And he seems genuine and everything he says seems to be consistent.

My issue is my interest in him has substantially waxed and waned. Ebbed and flowed. High then low. If I plotted it out, it'd look like a mountain range!

...At first I was really into him romantically. He flirted a lot and we didn't quite make it, I suppose I freaked out--honestly not sure...And my interest plummeted so I had to let him down. I proposed we become strictly platonic; not only did he agree, he acted and respected it fully.

We kept in touched and talked as buds. Then one day, I felt a HUGE spark... and it lasted for several weeks to a month. Then, guess what? It tapered off & stayed gone for several weeks. Now here I am yet again, I'm not quite head-over-heels but I can feel myself falling in again and trust the fact I will not tell him this time. It really wouldnt be fair to him if it is just a phase or cycle or whatever it is.

I feel horrible about the first couple of times... And I'm not sure what he did, (maybe he read advice from here or online..) But, it pulled me back in. He was gone on a week long cruise and didnt have any communication and I did miss him. Then just maybe something he said, I guess sparked inside of me...

So what is up with this? -- I wouldn't say I'm like this with any other guy... And to be forthright, always when I lose interest in a guy it is gone for good. (At least in my elder years now.) And i have been passively dating. A couple of guys I'm currently speaking to and I don't feel I look to my friend in a desperate manner... The two other dates I have give me enough attention and are nice companions. So what's my deal?? I know it's me and not him, though. That's for certain....