My wife wants a 4th baby after getting a vasectomy

GorillaTheater

I blame recessed Irish Catholic genes.

In my case, I blame top-shelf margaritas and poor family planning...

Mr. Lucky

Pretty much the same thing, really. :laugh:

• Like 1

Enough is enough.

Next up: Dream of #5.

Is she making 90% of the income and can take care of the bump of income spent on kids?

Vasectomies being reversed are far from being 100% accurate. It can be complicating. However, we do know a family who had two kids close together (1 year apart) and figured that was it and the husband had a vasectomy, only to change their mind 6-7 years later. The 3rd child came out normal, nothing wrong with her. I know it doesn't always work that way though.

The thing I'll say is this.............only have a vasectomy when you are 100% sure you don't want to turn back. Secondly, maybe one more kid won't be a bad thing. No one ever raises children and says "Boy, I wish I had just ONE less child." But plenty say "I wish we tried just once more". Your call.

You're in a window right now where statistically speaking, you could get a reversal and it would most likely would take. Since the sperm are being released into your body, it tries to fight them as foreign invaders. Eventually your body starts producing antibodies against the sperm and you become completely sterile, but it's usually many years later (but not always.)

Anyone who thinks dreams have relevance may have some sort of underlying issue they aren't talking about. I mean, I've flown in my dreams, but I'm not going to jump off my house and see if I fly.

It sounds to me like she is becoming what my friend refers to as "baby hoarder." They love the high and attention that comes with being a new mother, but aren't thinking about how much it's going to cost to put these kids through school later in life. Eventually you have so many kids that they have to fight over resources, wear each others hand-me-downs and miss out on the other children are doing because they simply can't afford it. Don't take her to a counselor, take her to a financial planner. Maybe after she figures out that her kids aren't going to be able to go to college, she'll wake up this mess she is making.

What are the chances that your wife has some sort of underlying emotional issues like depression that are making her look for something that makes her happy?

Maybe you guys should get a cat. :) Let me guess, she already has three.

Edited by HereNorThere
You're in a window right now where statistically speaking, you could get a reversal and it would most likely would take. Since the sperm are being released into your body, it tries to fight them as foreign invaders. Eventually your body starts producing antibodies against the sperm and you become completely sterile, but it's usually many years later (but not always.)

Anyone who thinks dreams have relevance may have some sort of underlying issue they aren't talking about. I mean, I've flown in my dreams, but I'm not going to jump off my house and see if I fly.

It sounds to me like she is becoming what my friend refers to as "baby hoarder." They love the high and attention that comes with being a new mother, but aren't thinking about how much it's going to cost to put these kids through school later in life. Eventually you have so many kids that they have to fight over resources, wear each others hand-me-downs and miss out on the other children are doing because they simply can't afford it. Don't take her to a counselor, take her to a financial planner. Maybe after she figures out that her kids aren't going to be able to go to college, she'll wake up this mess she is making.

What are the chances that your wife has some sort of underlying emotional issues like depression that are making her look for something that makes her happy?

Maybe you guys should get a cat. :) Let me guess, she already has three.

To be fair, there is this strange movement since the 1970s that overrates just how much it costs to raise a child. It honestly doesn't cost as much as you think. The stats you read are from the extreme examples of a kid going to the best Colleges or Universities. It also doesn't take into account that a kid can't get everything they want and that they don't need everything they want.

We have 3 kids, it has never crossed my mind that we won't be able to give them a good life. You just live within your means. So if the OP is thinking this the best advice I could give him is that we are NEVER financially ready for a child. If we had to wait for that to happen there would be no babies.

• Like 1
We have 3 kids, it has never crossed my mind that we won't be able to give them a good life. You just live within your means. So if the OP is thinking this the best advice I could give him is that we are NEVER financially ready for a child. If we had to wait for that to happen there would be no babies.

Well put. I look at it this way - if you add up birth to graduate school, one seems unaffordable. So additional kids don't really change the financial equation...

Mr. Lucky