Friends with benefits with an ex?

We broke up over a year and a half ago. We didn't date for very long so our relationship wasn't serious.We're comfortable talking about the new people we're pursing or interested in.

What tips would you suggest to keep strictly fwb?

Go no contact. Do not use or be used. Best for the both of you to not use each other as a crutch. Better to use your energies to find new partners.

• Like 1
Montgomery Burns
Go no contact. Do not use or be used. Best for the both of you to not use each other as a crutch. Better to use your energies to find new partners.

Agree 100%. But if the other person is pushing it,dont be surprised if they are rooting around for another chance.

First you have to be really sure no one is just trying to hold on to the relationship, either you or him. Then you have to be sure no one is making the FWB their primary relationship and that it's not stopping you from finding a more whole relationship. And you have to realize that some people get attached to the wrong person despite themselves if they are at all codependent. Also, anyone who knows about this assumes you're taken so it will hold you back from meeting and keeping new guys.

If you really don't give a crap about him, not sure why you'd want to have sex with him more than once in a blue moon. I mean, before there was the term FWB, we called it F buddies, but for me that would be a really physically attractive guy who was in my crowd who I thought was too unreliable to ever want to have a real relationship but who was great in bed. But even then, because I didn't know how hard he might be to make go away, I kept contact to random, like maybe once a year, so as not to encourage him, because I knew of him well enough to know he looked for women to take care of him. I think people who have a regular FWB thing are fooling themselves, really. I think one or the other usually wants more but that they're unsuited for more.

We broke up over a year and a half ago. We didn't date for very long so our relationship wasn't serious.We're comfortable talking about the new people we're pursing or interested in.

What tips would you suggest to keep strictly fwb?

Mmm ... I would say this has the potential to get messy. I for one would never be able to hook up with an ex without feelings getting in the way.

There are literally billions of other people in the world to have sex with. Go find one of those.