Inexperienced woman asking for advice

Peachykeen85

Ive only had one BF and that was 10 years ago. I've got this guy friend. We are both studying abroad in different countries. For 3 years we've kept in touch. On the fourth year we met for the first time in 3 years. We spent a day together sightseeing. Then both went back to our schools abroad. After that he wanted to hear from me more, just about every day to see how I'm doing. When I stopped messaging him for a few days he sent me a message saying that he loved me and to please not stop messaging him, that he'd always be there for me and that I'd always have a place in his life. It's beginning to seem like he's having deeper feelings for me but I'm not sure. I don't know what to think.

Oh boy. Under normal circumstances I'd tell you to run screaming from some guy who told you that he loved you in this manner. However I'm going to give you both the benefit of the doubt that you are both socially awkward & naïve, not to mention inexperienced.

Do not believe that he loves you. He has no clue.

Do believe that he is sincere & trustworthy but keep your wits about you to assure that he really is.

Spend more time together in person. Virtual interaction -- text, phone & computer do not count. See if his actions match his words

I also cannot bring myself to provide advice on how to maintain a cyber relationship. A long distance, electronic relationship is simply not real and if you are spending time, texting and emailing and cyber chatting etc, it is taking time and energy away from meeting and interacting with real people in your real day to day life.

My true advice is to step away from the computer and get out and live in the real, physical world and meet and interact with real people and go on real dates.

If you are socially awkward and naïve and inexperienced, then I encourage you to work on your social and interpersonal skills so that you aren't relegated to having to rely on cyber chat for social interaction. Find a coach or a therapist of something if you have to learn how to come out of your shell and interact with others on a personal level.

In your other thread you mentioned being overweight. Becoming healthy and vigorous and a more healthy weight and body composition will also greatly improve your chances and your dating opportunities in the real world.

My advice is he's desperate and skipping a lot of steps, like getting to know you better, and shouldn't be saying I love you yet. But if you think you might reciprocate his intensity of feeling, then stay in touch, but only to the degree it's comfortable. I mean, the fact you wrote in to Loveshack tells me you're not completely at ease with this situation. If your gut is telling you this makes you uncomfortable, then don't go along with it and tell him you don't want to spend that much time communicating and that you feel he's getting carried away and that you're not.