Stole money from my bf

My boyfriend comes from a well off family. He met me as independent, strong willed woman. Things doesnt come easily in my life. During our 5th month of relationship he had left me money to make him a savings acct because he was impressed on how i live alone and handle money. At that time unfortunately i was left off my job so all my savings were used up paying for my car and rent. I had to pay my bills because i was living alone, my parents are separated, had ask my sister and some relatives for help unfortunately they could not lend me. I had used almost half the money my bf had given me to make the bank acct with intention to pay it eventually. 1 month later guilty still looking for a job but having a hard time to find one, had asked my sister who was working abroad if i could borrow money to replace the money i used before he would find out so that if i could find a job i would be paying my sister instead. On the 7th month i was sleeping at home with my bf when i felt like he was distant, i looked at his phone and had found out that 1mo before the month i used his money he had already known about it because he had seen the messages i had sent my sister. He was angry i had stolen money and had seen conversation between him and a friend how his friend told him he was careless and had allowed me to handle his money and i had lied to him. I cried and woke him up said sorry that i was ashamed i used his money that he was rich that i thought he would look down on me because i have money problems. He also cried he said he had been good to me how i could do it. All i could say was sorry please understand my situation i have every intention of paying. Since then i felt our relationship became strained. Like everyday i have to double my efforts in the relationship until on the 11th month we could not connect anymore learned he was seeing a girl for month then we broke up. I know its all my fault i had learned my lesson but heartbroken i want to move on because i love him still..any advise? Maybe i cant move on because i feel i am responsible..

It was wrong of you to take the money without asking but that didn't give him the right to cheat on you. I'm sorry you got hurt. You didn't deserve it and perhaps his actions had nothing to do with the money. Maybe he's just the kind of guy who likes to line up his next gf before he ends a relationship. In any case honesty is always the best policy in relationships. You shouldn't have taken his money and he shouldn't have started dating someone new behind your back. Lesson learned.

amaysngrace

Every time you have an extra five dollars mail it to him until you get caught up.

Why didn't you ask him to borrow the money rather than just help yourself to it? The least you could have done was perform sexual favors for the guy.

How'd that go?

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

Wait, so he comes from a well off family, but he asked you to take care of his money by putting it in a savings account for him... that is odd to say the least.

You'd figure someone coming from a family like that would know how to open a basic bank account (and possibly be starting actual investments by that point in their life).

Anyway, you stole his money, he cheated on you, it's done. Hopefully you've both learned a lesson out of this.

stillafool

Never steal. The fallout is not worth it. He now knows he can't trust you but obviously you can't trust him either. What was his reason for cheating?

Here in the states the Holder of the account must be present to open it.

Unless they carry the Power of Attorney, which I doubt is the scenario being posed.

OP, welcome to LS.

Make amends by paying back the amount plus interest.