prom?

Hi! I'm in high school and have had this sort of infatuation with a senior for about a year now. I talk to him once in a while and I think he knows that I like him. My question is, should I ask him to the prom? He'll be graduating pretty soon, so I feel that maybe I should before he leaves. The thing I'm worried about is whether it would be awkward if he did say yes. He smiles at me constantly but there's still a lot of awkward silence between us. I'd like to get him to open up, but at the same time I'm extremely nervous around him. Jeez, I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I need advice!!!

Yes, absolutely, ask him to the prom NOW before he makes plans with someone else.

The prom only lasts three hours or so. If he doesn't say a word that whole time, there will be lots of music and other people to fill the time. It'll also give you an opportunity to get to know him better by asking him questions and getting him to open up.

Why hasn't somebody asked YOU to the prom yet?

Thanks for the advice! That's true, there will be a few of his friends going who are friends of mine as well. I don't know why anyone else hasn't asked me yet. I would've asked one of my guy friends (who I don't like in that way) but I wanted to try my luck first with crush boy.

Another thing: I'm usually pretty quiet, so I don't know how to go about getting him to open up. I do know some of his interests but when I try to ask him something I get toungue-tied and it comes out wrong.

Jot some notes on your hand...or put some notes in your pocket and refer to them. Or just hold some index cards in your hand. Stupid politicians do that all the time and it works.

Don't get so nervous about this. It's just a nice social evening that you will enjoy.

You know what? You have absolutely nothing to lose by asking him. If he says no, big deal. You go with someone else. Then, at least, you'll know that he's not interested. But, just think if he says YES. You'll have a great time.

As for how to ask him...don't ask him when his friends are around. If you can grab him in the hallway between class or at some other social event (dance? hanging out at McDonald's on Friday night? etc.), just walk up to him and ask him. Just say "I know we don't know each other very well, but I wondered if you wanted to go to prom with me. I think we'd have a good time together."

You didn't mention if you're a senior also. Are you invited to the prom? If not, I take back what I said. If it's HIS prom, then he has to do the asking. However, if it is both of your proms, then you have every right to ask.

And if he says no, don't even worry about it.

But at least if you ask, you'll never have to wonder "What if I would've asked him???"

Hi! I'm in high school and have had this sort of infatuation with a senior for about a year now. I talk to him once in a while and I think he knows that I like him. My question is, should I ask him to the prom? He'll be graduating pretty soon, so I feel that maybe I should before he leaves. The thing I'm worried about is whether it would be awkward if he did say yes. He smiles at me constantly but there's still a lot of awkward silence between us. I'd like to get him to open up, but at the same time I'm extremely nervous around him. Jeez, I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I need advice!!!

The prom...it seems like a lifetime ago for me.

It sounds like he likes you. What do you have to lose?

He will be leaving soon anyways. It is now or never.

Take the chance. You will never be saying "what if?".