Ghosted - Is he a jerk or am I asking too much?

bubbleberry

We met in class and started seeing each other a couple of months ago. We mostly just hook up, but he says sweet things like "I missed you", "You're beautiful", and "I like you". Last time we hung out, he kissed me goodbye. When we started hooking up, he kept repeating, "Not trying to be cheesy, but you're not opposed to something more, are you?" to which I answered honestly that I'm open to something more.

He started being bad at responding to my texts (but he keeps saying he's just bad at responding to texts in general), so when he cancelled our date, I asked him straight up if he wanted out, that I'm totally cool with it, no explanation needed. He said, "I am honestly just so busy right now. Let's definitely hang out next week!" I heard from him once the next week, basically saying his week's been busy as hell but it's getting better. I responded but never heard back. This was over a week ago. I texted him again yesterday, just a short "what's up", nothing. He didn't say hi in person (for the first time) on the last day of class for the semester.

I guess I don't understand why he had to ghost when I made it so easy for him to get out nicely by straight up asking him, no explanation needed (because I know how hard it is to come up with an explanation in these situations). Is he a jerk for ghosting or am I asking too much from not-a-relationship?

• Like 1

When you "hook up" it doesn't pay to have any expectations.

He said some nice things, but talk is cheap.

Going by what you've said, it looks like his interest isn't very great.

Take care.

• Like 1
isolatedgothic

It almost seems like he was given permission to drop off the face of the earth when you told him he could leave with no explanations. I think he took that as an okay to do what he did, because he bowed out of the relationship with no explanation.

This keeps the door open in case whatever it is he has now doesn't work out. He can come back and say, "But you said..."

Don't ever give a person the words to break up with you, or permission to go without explanation.