Is saying "awww that's so sweet?" really THAT bad!!?

ShyLove

I have been dating this guy for a few weeks and a few times when he gives me a compliment, I respond "Awww that's really sweet, thank you!! :)" But I have been told that when a girl says that the guy thinks he id put in the friend zone. I have also been seeing memes online saying that a girl saying awww that's so sweet is he kiss of death to a guy lol

So how are we supposed to respond to a compliment? Just a simple, dry "Thanks." ..? lol to me, that seems so lame and it doesn't fit my personality. I honestly didn't realize guys analyzed this that much haha when I say Awww thanks I really mean it because I DO think its sweet when a guy compliments a girl instead of trying to play it cool all the time.

Things are going well with this guy but it has been 2 weeks. I don't want him to think I'm friend zoning him so I just wanted to get some guy opinions on this "situation" that I didn't even realize was an issue.

Thanks!!

I have been dating this guy for a few weeks and a few times when he gives me a compliment, I respond "Awww that's really sweet, thank you!! :)" But I have been told that when a girl says that the guy thinks he id put in the friend zone. I have also been seeing memes online saying that a girl saying awww that's so sweet is he kiss of death to a guy lol

So how are we supposed to respond to a compliment? Just a simple, dry "Thanks." ..? lol to me, that seems so lame and it doesn't fit my personality. I honestly didn't realize guys analyzed this that much haha when I say Awww thanks I really mean it because I DO think its sweet when a guy compliments a girl instead of trying to play it cool all the time.

Things are going well with this guy but it has been 2 weeks. I don't want him to think I'm friend zoning him so I just wanted to get some guy opinions on this "situation" that I didn't even realize was an issue.

Thanks!!

There is nothing set in stone that you have to say anything. But whatever you do don't answer with the word "OK"

You say what you want as you feel it, don't have to worry what others tell you because it's up to you to decide. Remember we are not with you when your with him. We are here to help you make your life more understanding with him. I feel you doing just find keep up the compliments they go hand to hand. I hope your receiving compliments also in return?

((As I just texted my boyfriend that last night LOL))

There are many many MANY other dynamics to separate an interest from the friend zone. You responded fine, don't over think it.

• Like 4
  • Author
There is nothing set in stone that you have to say anything. But whatever you do don't answer with the word "OK"

You say what you want as you feel it, don't have to worry what others tell you because it's up to you to decide. Remember we are not with you when your with him. We are here to help you make your life more understanding with him. I feel you doing just find keep up the compliments they go hand to hand. I hope your receiving compliments also in return?

I rarely give one word answers. I;m a happy, bubbly person, which usually reflects through my texts.

I was just curious about what others thought bc I was told what I wrote in my OP by a few guys :/

So how about something like: Thank you - I'm so glad you think so!

Yup.

There's something trivializing about the "awww, that's so sweet" comment. To me anyway. :) But, in the end, certainly not indicative of anything to be concerned about.

GunslingerRoland

You are dating this guy already, so I don't see it as something that could be mistaken for friend zoning, as long as you aren't doing that in other ways.

But that is the kind of thing a woman will say when they get a compliment from a guy they have zero interest in.

• Like 1
  • Author
((As I just texted my boyfriend that last night LOL))

There are many many MANY other dynamics to separate an interest from the friend zone. You responded fine, don't over think it.

haha that's funny that you texted that last night. Lucky you that you have a sweet boyfriend :))

Yeah I really didn't want to overthink it but then I started seeing the memes online through a few facebook posts and wondered if it was some universal "problem" that I had no idea existed LOL

• Author
Yup.

There's something trivializing about the "awww, that's so sweet" comment. To me anyway. :) But, in the end, certainly not indicative of anything to be concerned about.

So to you and GunSlingerRoland(hope that's right lol)

What would you rather hear instead?

Thanks

So to you and GunSlingerRoland(hope that's right lol)

What would you rather hear instead?

Thanks

LMAO... I use it for straight sarcasm to the fiancé... I just get a blank look and usually he gets me back later.

Aha! So, the 'AWWWW' part is the problem with me. It does sound contrived and disingenuous. :p Just leave that out.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

Again, if this is your boyfriend already it doesn't matter.

But if a guy that you had a crush on said a compliment to you, and you wanted to take it in a way to let him know that you are interested, you may be able to return a compliment back. Say something flirty back, or even just a flirty smile and a simple thank you.

Really body language is probably more important than the actual words in a case like this.

• Author
Again, if this is your boyfriend already it doesn't matter.

But if a guy that you had a crush on said a compliment to you, and you wanted to take it in a way to let him know that you are interested, you may be able to return a compliment back. Say something flirty back, or even just a flirty smile and a simple thank you.

Really body language is probably more important than the actual words in a case like this.

Oh I see. The awww part is bad. It's funny bc last night I told him he was cute and he said awe thank you. Maybe he is mirroring my style.

He is NOT my boyfriend. We have been on 3 dates. We met 2 -2.5 weeks ago.

Be yourself! There's nothing inherently wrong with the words you're using. Tone, body language, and the context are critical. Specific choice of words far less so than these three aspects of communication.

I'm guessing you come across as flattered and you're clearly conveying that you're interested in him. Carry on and don't worry about other people's rules. It hasn't been an issue for him obviously. He's asked you out again. ;)

• Like 2
Be yourself! There's nothing inherently wrong with the words you're using. Tone, body language, and the context are critical. Specific choice of words far less so than these three aspects of communication.

I'm guessing you come across as flattered and you're clearly conveying that you're interested in him. Carry on and don't worry about other people's rules. It hasn't been an issue for him obviously. He's asked you out again. ;)

True. It doesn't seem to be an issue with your current bf, so be yourself. But, you did ask and you know that different people have different ways of interpreting you manner and choice of words you use. Fortunately or unfortunately, other people's rules can make a difference, so you are aware, of course.

Again, in your case, it isn't an issue, so do as angel.eyes says. :)

"That was brilliant!"

Depending on the tone and context, I can be giving someone a huge compliment. Or, I could be calling the person the biggest idiot I've ever encountered.

I have friends like the OP, who respond with "awww, that's so sweet" in a way that every guy thinks is flirtatious and indicates they're interested (even when they aren't). Again, tone, body language, and context are all important.

OP, carry on. What you're doing is clearly working for you.

• Like 1
Oh I see. The awww part is bad. It's funny bc last night I told him he was cute and he said awe thank you. Maybe he is mirroring my style.

He is NOT my boyfriend. We have been on 3 dates. We met 2 -2.5 weeks ago.

If you are making out with him i doubt he thinks he's friendzoned.

When a woman tells me "awww you're so sweet"

I respond with. "ack, kiss of death. friendzoned again!"

In a joking way non-serious way.

At that point they try to tell me i'm not but then i just go into a woa-is me spiel telling her it's ok. we can just be friends.

then they usually show me i'm not friendzoned by kissing me.

Unless i'm REALLY friendzoned.

Edited by phineas
  • Like 1

Thanks!!

Hold on a second..... Has the guy you're DATING said this to you?? Or just other guys?

If the guy you're dating hasn't said this to you, then I think you're good. Who cares what other guys think if the guy you're dating hasn't mentioned anything about feeling like he's being friendzoned? :o

I didn't know guys felt this way either btw.... I usually say "Awww...thank you..." as well, as that's my personality lol. "Aww" is a way of kind of swooning (for me at least). It's much deeper than just "thanks". It means it really touched my heart. :) It's actually a GOOD thing if a girl/woman says this imo.

If a woman has friendzoned you, then there will be other signs.

I also don't get why guys think a woman saying a guy is "cute" is a friendzone sign. Just because I say a guy is "cute" and not "hot" or "handsome" doesn't mean that he's been friendzoned or that I think of him as a brother.

For me:

Hot= Nice-looking, but that's pretty much it...Not sure yet how I like the guy's personality. The guy may come across as a bit unattainable or maybe even a bit cocky or unapproachable.

Handsome= Nice to look at, or looks well put together in clothes.

But now....

Cute= The guy is hot/good-looking, AND he's got a great personality that is endearing. EVERYTHING about him is appealing, and I'd definitely love to date him. :)

But maybe that's just me! :D

But I've been told that guys think a woman calling them "cute" is the kiss of death, but it's really not for me. It's actually a good thing.

If you are making out with him i doubt he thinks he's friendzoned.

When a woman tells me "awww you're so sweet"

I respond with. "ack, kiss of death. friendzoned again!"

In a joking way non-serious way.

At that point they try to tell me i'm not but then i just go into a woa-is me spiel telling her it's ok. we can just be friends.

then they usually show me i'm not friendzoned by kissing me.

Unless i'm REALLY friendzoned.

Hahaha! Cute response! :D Very clever lol ;)