***My Real Estate Agent???***

thefooloftheyear

Let's cut the dad some slack...It doesn't matter how old she is, he still probably sees her as something he needs to protect...I/m very protective of my own daughter and probably would do the same thing..

Better this, than a dad that doesn't give a shyt about anything his kids do..BTDT...:rolleyes:

Don't get discouraged...Take a deep breath...Use the holiday to take a break from the chaos...Maybe switching agents isn't such a bad idea...Get a woman this time...lots of good female agents/brokers..If you still have interest in the guy, then give it a little time and then hit him up and see where it goes..

TFY

• Like 1

I don't understand why you can't still buy a house. You said above you were paying cash for a $130-150k house and your parents were matching what you put in. So, I take that to mean you have $65-75k to put toward a house? Why can't you still buy and finance the rest? It seems like you have plenty for a down payment.

• Like 5

And to add, I don't really see what your agent did as a major crime. He probably expected you had read the listing when you agreed to go and see it. (And it doesn't sound like he hid the information or that you minded seeing the place.). I don't know what the market is like where you are, but I found it very useful to see a wide range of places (those that needed work and those that didn't) in my price range to understand what I could get for the amount of money I was willing to spend. Maybe he was just trying to help you get some perspective.

• Like 3
I don't understand why you can't still buy a house. You said above you were paying cash for a $130-150k house and your parents were matching what you put in. So, I take that to mean you have $65-75k to put toward a house? Why can't you still buy and finance the rest? It seems like you have plenty for a down payment.

Maybe being in school she can't show income to prove she can make mortgage payments.

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear
And to add, I don't really see what your agent did as a major crime. He probably expected you had read the listing when you agreed to go and see it. (And it doesn't sound like he hid the information or that you minded seeing the place.). I don't know what the market is like where you are, but I found it very useful to see a wide range of places (those that needed work and those that didn't) in my price range to understand what I could get for the amount of money I was willing to spend. Maybe he was just trying to help you get some perspective.

Fine, but then as a responsible and competent sales agent, he should have said something like...

" I know you mentioned no major repair issues, but you may want to consider this place...I know it cost about "X" to fix it and perhaps if you can score a deal on it, maybe its worth a look?"

Otherwise the dad, who is hoping his own daughter doesn't get hoodwinked, may be thinking the guy is trying to get over on her.. and maybe he got frustrated as well, that she didn't dismiss it based on the original terms....For all we know the dad is sensing that she's getting dreamy of this guy and not focusing on the main goal here..You never know.

TFY

• Like 2
lana-banana
Maybe being in school she can't show income to prove she can make mortgage payments.

This must be the situation because otherwise it makes no sense. 75k down is pretty good money and will get you a wide range of places, assuming you can make the payments. But how did you get your savings without a decent income to begin with?

• Like 3

Just caught up with this thread. Totally agree with the dad. Well and septic tank damages are a nightmare! How could you ever trust this agent again? Plus any work you'll need done on the house (especially surprise work) will fall on dad for the next few years. Dad is right. Get a more experienced agent. Maybe even a broker. Surely you dad knows plenty.

• Like 1
  • Author

To answer your questions,

While attending nursing school full time, I dont work. Which means I would have no way to pay a mortage until next year around April when I graduate

cilia, I never accused my agent of doing anything wrong. I wasnt upset about seeing that listing depsite it not meeting my criteria. If I could buy right now, I'd be delighted too!

• Author
This must be the situation because otherwise it makes no sense. 75k down is pretty good money and will get you a wide range of places, assuming you can make the payments. But how did you get your savings without a decent income to begin with?

How? 2 ways...

-Before starting school I was working like everyone else

-I recieved an inheritance when I was 25...lucky duck

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic
How? 2 ways...

-Before starting school I was working like everyone else

-I recieved an inheritance when I was 25...lucky duck

So does your dad pay your rent for you while you're in school? Would he be willing to pay the mortgage payment if you bought the house on your own using your savings for the down payment?

• Like 1
  • Author
So does your dad pay your rent for you while you're in school? Would he be willing to pay the mortgage payment if you bought the house on your own using your savings for the down payment?

He pays for my rent and everything else

He wouldnt pay for a mortgage and I wouldnt want him to. I dont even want to ask him to do that. He's still really pissed about this. I've been put on blast for the past 48hrs. Never going to live this down

Despite his flaws, he does so much for me. I can wait until April to buy :)

• Author

Now I need to start looking for new houses to rent

I have to 'fire' my agent before I do that because I signed a contract with him stating that any properties he found for me, or I found for myself, go through him

I cant bring myself to do this

I feel awful :(

CautiouslyOptimistic
He pays for my rent and everything else

He wouldnt pay for a mortgage and I wouldnt want him to. I dont even want to ask him to do that. He's still really pissed about this. I've been put on blast for the past 48hrs. Never going to live this down

Despite his flaws, he does so much for me. I can wait until April to buy :)

It is clear he does love you very much <3. What's he been like with your prior boyfriends??? lol!

• Like 2
  • Author
It is clear he does love you very much <3. What's he been like with your prior boyfriends??? lol!

Both of my parents are amazing people! :D

I would take a bullet for them any day of the week

I help them in anyway I can and will be personally taking care of them until the day they die

Its funny because my Dad has always been fine with my past bfs. Because he's insanely smart, he doesnt have a lot of emotion. He's kind of like Sheldon from the big bang theory :laugh: He's not over protective at all when it comes to my dating life. When I told him my ex was cheating on me after the break up, my dad continued to help my ex with his car. I was like, huh?

My Dad is protective when it comes to logical things like purchasing a house or a car, but when it comes to bfs, he doesnt have the EQ to understand those things. He doesnt care too much about any of that

CautiouslyOptimistic
Both of my parents are amazing people! :D

I would take a bullet for them any day of the week

I help them in anyway I can and will be personally taking care of them until the day they die

Its funny because my Dad has always been fine with my past bfs. Because he's insanely smart, he doesnt have a lot of emotion. He's kind of like Sheldon from the big bang theory :laugh: He's not over protective at all when it comes to my dating life. When I told him my ex was cheating on me after the break up, my dad continued to help my ex with his car. I was like, huh?

My Dad is protective when it comes to logical things like purchasing a house or a car, but when it comes to bfs, he doesnt have the EQ to understand those things. He doesnt care too much about any of that

Interesting! Have you told him you have a crush on the real estate agent? How would he react to that, or would he just kindof ignore it because the other stuff (his mistake) is the only important part?

• Author
Interesting! Have you told him you have a crush on the real estate agent? How would he react to that, or would he just kindof ignore it because the other stuff (his mistake) is the only important part?

I would never say anything like that to my Dad but if I did,

He would say...

"Ok. *Uncomfortable cough* Fire him. *Hangs up phone*"

:laugh:

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
I would never say anything like that to my Dad but if I did,

He would say...

"Ok. *Uncomfortable cough* Fire him. *Hangs up phone*"

:laugh:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Like 1

Actually I wasn't happy with him showing you a house across from the cemetary. When you fire him, just tell him the truth: that your Dad found out about the septic tank thing and no money matching now, and so not buying now. He'll be disappointed, but it's not like you fired him to go to another agent to buy.

I actually fired two men agents in their 30's before going with an older woman agent who showed me the right properties and closed the deal. I feel the other two agents wasted MY time.

If your Dad believed buying was a good investment, why not still do it? There's cash sitting there getting almost 0 interest, with inflation, it's negative interest, and you are having to pay rent. From a financial standpoint, buying is right. I think your Dad is operating emotionally right now to say you shouldn't buy. The logical, smart money choice is still to buy ( use different agent ).

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
Actually I wasn't happy with him showing you a house across from the cemetary. When you fire him, just tell him the truth: that your Dad found out about the septic tank thing and no money matching now, and so not buying now. He'll be disappointed, but it's not like you fired him to go to another agent to buy.

I actually fired two men agents in their 30's before going with an older woman agent who showed me the right properties and closed the deal. I feel the other two agents wasted MY time.

If your Dad believed buying was a good investment, why not still do it? There's cash sitting there getting almost 0 interest, with inflation, it's negative interest, and you are having to pay rent. From a financial standpoint, buying is right. I think your Dad is operating emotionally right now to say you shouldn't buy. The logical, smart money choice is still to buy ( use different agent ).

I'm not quite understanding this either, but I'm not criticizing since it's clear her dad loves her very much :). (I'm not at all implying that you are criticizing either!)

You have enough money down to avoid paying PMI and if you have a good credit score you're going to get the best rate possible with that much down....

• Like 1

But she can invest the money in some financial instruments (e.g., stocks) to generate returns.

• Like 3

Haha, now you can tell your agent, "I've got good news and bad news. Bad news is I'm no longer in the market for a house so I need to end our contract. Good news - now that I'm no longer your client, you can take me out on a proper date!"

• Like 4
  • Author

I'm not quite understanding this either, but I'm not criticizing since it's clear her dad loves her very much :). (I'm not at all implying that you are criticizing either!)

You have enough money down to avoid paying PMI and if you have a good credit score you're going to get the best rate possible with that much down....

I totally get what you're saying guys but once my dad says, no...he means NO.

Because I didnt see that the property had significant damage and went to see it, I am no longer qualified to purchase in the eyes of my father

Thats the story of my life when it comes to my family. One little slip up and I pay for it for a very long time

It is a smarter choice to buy instead of pouring money into a property that I'll never see a return on but its a no go at this point :(

• Like 1
  • Author
Haha, now you can tell your agent, "I've got good news and bad news. Bad news is I'm no longer in the market for a house so I need to end our contract. Good news - now that I'm no longer your client, you can take me out on a proper date!"

Hahaha! :laugh:

Well, according to a friend who is a RE agent, she says he's going to be really pissed so I shouldnt ask

So now I'm conflicted

I dont know if its a good idea considering we're parting ways because I'm firing him

Thats the new dilemma

Hey why not ask your friend the RE agent to help you find a place to live? Sometimes a house that didn't sell at the price asked, becomes a rental since the owners had already left.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hey why not ask your friend the RE agent to help you find a place to live? Sometimes a house that didn't sell at the price asked, becomes a rental since the owners had already left.

I would love to but she doesnt work in the county I'm looking in

The owners of the house next to the cemetary have been long gone. That wasnt the house with the damaged well and septic tank. Its for sale though so I dont know that I can rent it

Pretty sure its haunted too but I'd rather live with that than my upstairs neighbor :laugh:

• Like 1