i made a big mistake

My GF and I have a good (if overly anxious at times) relationship and have been together about 6 months. But recently I made a big mistake and curiosity got the better of me - I looked at some of her emails. There was no reason why I should have, I just did and I hate myself for doing it. But I learnt a few things about her feelings towards her ex boyfriends (and details of her past, etc.) that have stayed in my mind and have bothered me since. They aren't important in the sense that they happened before I met her but they are forever on my mind and I don't know how to get rid if them.

I know it was a stupid thing to do to look at her emails but what should I do to overcome this? Should I be honest with her and tell I looked at them? I love her and want everything to be fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks - this board is excellent..

What you learned from your snooping that bothers you is YOUR problem. Your girlfriend, and most other competent persons on this planet, are entitled to a level of privacy. When we write mail, we do so with the intentions of having it viewed by the receiver and those copies and nobody else.

No good purpose will be served by you letting your girlfriend know you snooped in her personal things. And don't do it again. People are entitled to their privacy and that's that.

If you want to know details about how she feels about people in her past, just ask her...and accept what she tells you.

You ought to be worrying about how she feels about you. If she finds out you snooped, you may very well be among the ex's she writes about in the future.

Keep all this to yourself and let it go, if you are man enough to do it.

I've been in the same situation once, but my b/f got me an access to his email so I could help him with his work. I think he comletely forgot about it when after a while he wrote a letter to his ex g/f. I was so furious when I've read it because he was discussing me with her but then I've realized that he would probably never forgive something like this if I tell him. I wouldn't if I was him. It's so humiliating. Just try to put yourself in her shoes and see how you'd react if somebody does it to you. If you really care staying with her, just think it never happened.

My GF and I have a good (if overly anxious at times) relationship and have been together about 6 months. But recently I made a big mistake and curiosity got the better of me - I looked at some of her emails. There was no reason why I should have, I just did and I hate myself for doing it. But I learnt a few things about her feelings towards her ex boyfriends (and details of her past, etc.) that have stayed in my mind and have bothered me since. They aren't important in the sense that they happened before I met her but they are forever on my mind and I don't know how to get rid if them. I know it was a stupid thing to do to look at her emails but what should I do to overcome this? Should I be honest with her and tell I looked at them? I love her and want everything to be fine. Any thoughts? Thanks - this board is excellent..