What does "I need more space" mean, anyway?

David Gevert

People don't ask for space when they are happy in a relationship.

As a general rule, people ask for space so it's not as hard on them to break up a little down the road. If someone has asked you for space, say "sure, you can have all the space you want...forever."

If someone just has a clingy or overbearing personality, usually the other person will want to be permanently away from that...no just wanting space.

I agree with Tony except for one other thing. A person could feel smothered and want a little space. If a person is too forward or trying to make things go faster than the other wants. But in general it means to back and give me time to decide if I still want this relationship. Find other things to do if this is happening to you just so you protect yourself in not getting hurt so much. Good luck.

People don't ask for space when they are happy in a relationship. As a general rule, people ask for space so it's not as hard on them to break up a little down the road. If someone has asked you for space, say "sure, you can have all the space you want...forever." If someone just has a clingy or overbearing personality, usually the other person will want to be permanently away from that...no just wanting space.
JustAGirl

I don't totally agree ...

i have asked my bf for more space, simply b/c he was trying to spend way more time with me than i wanted to spend with him. which would actually be fine, if it wasn't a weekly routine. so 'more space' can mean i need more excitement in all this ...

dunna! just my version...