He used the love word

I'm female have a close guy friend that I have known around 12 years... We used to run with the same crowd and have mutual friends. Grew much closer to him around 4 years ago, we have spent a lot of time together, on/off.

So recently sent the long emotional text that I have been in love with him all this time. I was embarrassed and apologized the next day, lol. He said it's okay... And we still texted about casual stuff for a couple days.

I didn't know what he was thinking after everything I said. But last night he was telling me about his days off to spend time with his son. He said 'I luv that kid.... Love you too ?, talk to you later.' '

I'm not sure if he meant this a friendly way. In the past we have used' luv ya', we have said I love you once or twice in the last few years when saying bye or something, but I am a little surprised he threw it out there after everything I confessed. I just don't know how to interpret this because I know he cares for me, that part is no secret. But should I take this as meaning more? Thanks.

English is an imprecise language. We have only the one word -- love -- for a lot of different feelings / contexts: you love your parents, your friends, your SO & your favorite food. Obviously it's all different. Here I'd chalk it up to a friendship love & not stress

• Author

I'm not really stressed, I've felt quite happy since it happened. I needed him to say that so I am satisfied no matter what. I just sent back red hearts and that's it because I didn't want to say I love him too and make it awkward, lol. But wanted him to I appreciate it.

Happy Lemming

I once had a friend (who was a girl) text me "I love you" at the end of a long text message, which was odd to me, as we weren't even dating.

When I asked her about it, she told me she loved me the way Jesus loves me.

My point is... not every "I love you" means the same to all people.

• Author

True... As I said we have used the word before but a very long time ago. It's been a couple years since we've said it. And after I confess my feelings.. It's the timing I wonder about. But I'm glad he said it because I worried I might lose a friend over it.

If he loves you the way you were hoping you would have known it well before now. If he was surprised by your confession which I doubt and was harboring mad love for you this whole time, he'd have immediately asked you on a date and started escalating things with you.

• Like 2
  • Author
If he loves you the way you were hoping you would have known it well before now. If he was surprised by your confession which I doubt and was harboring mad love for you this whole time, he'd have immediately asked you on a date and started escalating things with you.

Not sure about that because he moved to another state for work we have only seen each other a few times in a year. Anyway point being it's hard to go on a date... Lol, but we have remained great friends since he moved.

That’s good that you feel good about saying it, and there was no need to be embarrassed or apologize to him. Feel good that you got that off your chest and move on in your day to day life. :-)

• Like 2