Does anyone relate to this????????

Does anyone relate to this????????

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year staff at Macquarie University in Sydney puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of the new year's incoming student's.

Here is this year's list:

The people who are starting university next year across the nation were born in 1982. They have no meaningful recollection of the Whitlam Era and probably did not know he had ever been sacked.

They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged. Black Monday, 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.

There has been only one Pope. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War. They have never feared a nuclear war.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up. Tianamen Square means nothing to them.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The expression you sound like a broken record means nothing to them. They have never owned a record player. They have likely never played Pac Man. They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 45 cents.

They have always had an answering machine. Most have never seen a TV set with only 4 channels, nor have they seen a black-and-white TV. They have always had cable. There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA is.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control. They were born the year that Walkmans were introduced by Sony.

Roller-skating has always meant inline for them. Brian Henderson has always read the channel nine news. They have no idea when or why flares were cool.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave. They have never seen Ian or Greg Chappell play. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Boer War. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are. They don't know who

Mork was or where he was from. They never heard: Boss, de plane, de plane.

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. is. The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was. Michael Jackson has always been white. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups. McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers. There has always been MTV. They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet? pass this on to the other old fogies.

hehehe ...

well, i was born in 82, but i just finished my first year of university ....... and hey, just cuz i'm young, it doesn't mean i'm uneducated & dunno about vietnam war... some cultural stuff falls out, naturally, but then I was not raised in North America so who knows ... you'd be surprised how many of my friends are stuck in the 50-60s era - listening to that music, wearing those clothes, living in total imbalance with the current culture ... young people are more complicated than that ... that's why the articles like the one you post always annoy me ... your age is by no means measured by people's average education or speed of cultural changes .....

anyway, just some rambling on the topic :)

hi sandra,

i was born in '76, and i *do* feel old compared to those born in '82.

i used to have a record player, and a ton of vinyl albums....i knew whitlam was sacked, only because i studied it in high school.....i remember very clearly when challenger blew up....i had an atari (pac man was my idol)....i will *not* swim, all because of that damn 'jaws'....oh gosh - fantasy island.....

....i thought there has always been mtv too....maybe i'm not getting old after all!!!!....brian henderson has always worn the same glasses, right???

24 years young miss mojo :)

Well I can certain relate! This quite funny actually . Thanks for putting a smile on my face, Sarah!!

But strangely enough, I don't feel old. I used to have that feeling when I thought about the things you just said. It's easy to feel that way when so many icons of your youth have been forgotten (or you see them in flea markets labelled "Collector's Items"). Or when you realize that good looking woman you were dancing with at a club was WAY WAY to young for you.

Then I realized I was still learning so much about life everyday. I know so much more now than I did 5 years ago. Five years from now I'll know more than today.

I still get school boy crushes on women. (Don't laugh!). I still play pranks on people.(More sophisticated pranks of course!) I still have my dreams.There's a lot in life I still haven't done.

A lot of the stuff that originated in my generation are still icons now. Every high school kid knows who Ferris Bueller is. They know who the Transformers are , who GIJOE were. Some of them still like "Retro" music.

(Let's just be thankful "Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five" are nicely forgotten!) They still like Madonna(yuck!).

But what really stopped making feel old was this thought I had one day. One afternoon ,I was walking through the gym and I tried to imagine what it would be to travel back in time and meet myself when I was 21.I thought about it a while. You know what I figured out? If I met myself at 21, I could kick that snotty little 21 year old's butt from here to the Moon!!!! hehehe