Duration of alimony payments

thefooloftheyear
Upon non-renewal, do they cut/disconnect the kids along with the spouse? These aren't NFL contracts we're talking about...

Mr. Lucky

Of course not.:rolleyes: ..The kids would have to be supported and all custody arrangements/child support would be the same as they are now.

But I would imagine a LOT less kids would be conceived, and consequently not subjected to miserable parents in lousy marriages, if people knew that in "x" amount of months they would be out...

It makes all the sense in the world.....Eliminate lawyers unless some extenuating circumstances...No longer will people view it as "locking down" anyone anymore...Simply refuse to sign after the term ends and you walk away...And if they are happily married the couple could have a mini "wedding" every 4 years to celebrate their awesome love and dedication to one another..

Its time to revisit this "institution"...The colossal failure rate and resulting fight fest over everything needs to end...

TFY

But I would imagine a LOT less kids would be conceived, and consequently not subjected to miserable parents in lousy marriages, if people knew that in "x" amount of months they would be out...

I think you're being slightly specious in gently poking holes in the institution.

Marriage is relatively hard to get out of... because it should be. Sometimes that last bit of legal glue is the only bond holding a couple together during difficult and trying times (ask me how I know :confused: ).

There was a time during my generally successful and happy 30+ year marriage where, had it been "DMV" easy to walk away, I might have. And with the benefit of today's hindsight, I'd have made the worst mistake of my life.

Life and love can make us all periodically crazy, lazy and ungrateful. Were it up to me, I'd make marriages harder to dissolve rather than simpler. YMMV...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
loversquarrel
You did no such thing. You clearly and unequivocally stated that if it was you, you'd quit your job and move out of the country.

On top of that, now you're insulting other posters ability to read because they supposedly incorrect your "tongue in cheek sarcastic post" that is so dry it is in no way, shape or form distinguishable as being sarcasm. If you are convinced other readers should see it as being such, you have no business dispensing divorce advice.

By saying if it was me is suggestive. I'll dispense whatever the hell I want.

Sometimes that last bit of legal glue is the only bond holding a couple together during difficult and trying times (ask me how I know :confused: ).

How often does that work, I wonder? 1 or both people want out of a bad marriage, but they're stuck together because they can't afford to divorce, so they think "ok we'll figure out some way to make this work" and they dissolve all or most of their conflict and live somewhat happily ever after.

I'd think almost never.

• Like 1