The New LoveShack.org: Discuss the update and quirks/features here

9 hours ago, preraph said:

I already posted it and it kept telling me I couldn't use any iteration of the word help, so I took that out of the title even though that is the title of the article. but then it is still showing up as pink with a triangle over to the left like an alert. What does that mean? 

The triangle just means that the new thread is pending approval due to the link in the opening post. Just recreated it in the test forum.

If you see icons like that and aren't sure what they mean it will usually give you more information if you hover over them with your cursor.

Oh, okay. That one looked live before the alert was gone. I guess it's just getting it used to a new system. Anyway it went live pretty quick.

Hello all,

In the old loveshack we could look at our (or others) history , our threads and posts were seperated so it was easy to have a quick look at someone's history. Now it seems posts and threads are mixed together? or is there a way to see only the threads people have created? 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

Hello all,

In the old loveshack we could look at our (or others) history , our threads and posts were seperated so it was easy to have a quick look at someone's history. Now it seems posts and threads are mixed together? or is there a way to see only the threads people have created? 

Thanks

You can go to your profile -->  See my activity --> Topics or posts

9 minutes ago, SummerDreams said:

You can go to your profile -->  See my activity --> Topics or posts

Thank you!! I was searching everywhere for the word thread!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Just a suggestion. Is there anyway changes could be implemented that would allow us to change the backdrop in our profile in addition to a cover photo? 

Hey, is this happening to anyone else lately? 

It seems like I’ll accidentally hit the quote thing instead of emoji display symbol and then I can’t rid of the quote box. Like won’t go away for anything. Even if I go back out and come back in several times. 

I would say it’s user error but this has only been happening in the last week or so. Not before. Before it was easy to get rid of the box. 

I guess I could wait the allotted time to edit and maybe then it would go away but usually after 15 minutes, I’ve lost my train of thought. 🥴 (sometimes that could be for the best though.) 

Yes, I’ll try the waiting time thing. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, K.K. said:

It seems like I’ll accidentally hit the quote thing instead of emoji display symbol and then I can’t rid of the quote box. Like won’t go away for anything. Even if I go back out and come back in several times. 

Try selecting the four way arrow thingie at top left of the quote box and dragging across, then hit delete. This appears to work in both new reply and if able to edit a post.

I just deleted your quote = ~William

It works fine....you try, use our test forum.....

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Deleted empty quote

No. Nothing to drag. I see a little x in the corner but it won’t close out. (I’m on my phone if that makes a difference.) I did manage to get rid of it if I went back in and hit the clear editor this time but that’s no good if it happens in the middle of a post I’m making. Sometimes I can’t get around the box or underneath it or move it to even continue typing. I did update my phone last week but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. I’ll keep trying. Thanks for the reply. 🙂 

The X thing is the four way arrow. If you select it, you can drag a dotted line across the top of the quote/post, then you can hit delete. I just did it. It works the same for moderators and members. I was frustrated about it too until figuring it out. I figured it out on my own 👍👍👍

ETA, one of our moderators who uses their phone to post can comment on the process there. I use a laptop. Click with the trackpad, drag my finger, release, hit delete.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 1

I did it !! Omg that was soo hard 😅 ! It highlights a little blue then you can erase it! I would have never ever figured that out on my own! 

Thank you soo much! 😀 ! 

• Like 1
mark clemson

Looks like LS could consider a "I respectfully disagree" (aka "thumbs down") emote/reaction along with the other suggestions, if that's possible. 

LS might also consider some policy on use of the emotes/reactions. Not sure what would be considered fair, but for example if a poster chooses to "thumbs down" every post they don't agree with - is that acceptable? Can people block specific users reactions if they feel they are targeted with negativity? If you wind up with a "tribe" of users that likes or thumbs downs only posts that fit a specific mindset, could it discourage folks from giving well-intentioned advice, etc.  It's hard to see all the ways folks might use reactions and I'm not saying folks have been using them inappropritely, but another thing to think about.

No need for any moderator responses, just add'l suggestions to go with the ones made previously...

SummerDreams

As a moderator for many years I have made this discussion about the thumbs down - disagree reaction many times and my opinion is the following: I don't like it because a) it creates an environment of negativity towards members even when the disagree reaction may be given once or twice, people will remember it and feel bad about it something that may cause flames and arguments in posts and b) as a moderator who wants the forum to have "numbers", I always want people to post in threads. If a disagree reaction is available, many people who disagree with a post will only leave a reaction and not post in the thread. This will result in less posts - less discussions - less numbers for the forum - less interesting forum in general. People should be encouraged to post rather than give reactions.

• Like 1

I see the point about not having thumbs down too.  I mean, we have a "mad" one, which most people wouldn't use that in place of thumbs down because it's more extreme.  I mean, a lack of "reactions" is pretty much the thumbs down, I think.  

I haven't done it on this new board, but as far as I know, you can block anyone, but it's only blocking you from seeing their posts and it leaves them free to follow you about contradicting everything you say and you won't see it to defend your stance.  I wish there was a block both ways feature, but I think they looked into it and there's just not.  

May someone explain to me how to quote different section of a same reply. I just tried in a thread and I made a big mess I cannot delete. Thanks!

CautiouslyOptimistic
3 hours ago, Gaeta said:

May someone explain to me how to quote different section of a same reply. I just tried in a thread and I made a big mess I cannot delete. Thanks!

Well, you could just hit the quote button multiple times and delete what you don't want for each reply.

3 hours ago, Gaeta said:

May someone explain to me how to quote different section of a same reply.

Like this. 

3 hours ago, Gaeta said:

Thanks!

Or this.

That's the only way I know how to do it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gaeta said:

May someone explain to me

AH!

4 hours ago, Gaeta said:

how to quote different section of a same reply. 

OK

4 hours ago, Gaeta said:

I just tried in a thread and I made a big mess I cannot delete. Thanks!

I get it!

Thanks

On 3/2/2020 at 7:25 AM, William said:

The X thing is the four way arrow. If you select it, you can drag a dotted line across the top of the quote/post, then you can hit delete. I just did it. It works the same for moderators and members. I was frustrated about it too until figuring it out. Paul never told us. Learn on our own 👍👍👍

ETA, one of our moderators who uses their phone to post can comment on the process there. I use a laptop. Click with the trackpad, drag my finger, release, hit delete.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:34 AM, K.K. said:

I did it !! Omg that was soo hard 😅 ! It highlights a little blue then you can erase it! I would have never ever figured that out on my own! 

Thank you soo much! 😀 ! 

It’s a clunky process, at least on an iPhone. The icon is small and you need to hold it for a second or two.

Hitting backspace deletes text but not the quote box itself, and if one has already written a response to the quote, hitting backspace will pull the response itself into the quote box. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a lot of 'stuff' 'about me' that I don't mind sharing and other LSers would probably find useful to help put my posts in the context of my life experiences e.g. having raised three sons to adulthood. I went looking at my profile to see if there is 'room' there to post it. Seems like there is in 'About me'. BUT I see no way that someone else can see what I write there. Since I'm in a sandbox browser to use chat, I even went over to that javascript-enabled browser, something I don't usually do, to look around. I still see no way. Is that the way it works or am I missing something?

4 hours ago, nospam99 said:

There's a lot of 'stuff' 'about me' that I don't mind sharing and other LSers would probably find useful to help put my posts in the context of my life experiences e.g. having raised three sons to adulthood. I went looking at my profile to see if there is 'room' there to post it. Seems like there is in 'About me'. BUT I see no way that someone else can see what I write there. Since I'm in a sandbox browser to use chat, I even went over to that javascript-enabled browser, something I don't usually do, to look around. I still see no way. Is that the way it works or am I missing something?

Great question! We're not sure, but looking into this. It should be visible on your member profile, yet I can confirm it's not showing.

sothereiwas
On 3/7/2020 at 12:33 PM, CautiouslyOptimistic said:

That's the only way I know how to do it.

You can also do selective reply multiple times and it will create multiple quotes

4 hours ago, nospam99 said:

I had a fresh cup of coffee and noticed that the About Me section does display, yet it's in a separate tab in your profile. See the screenshot below:

image.png

Hope that helps!

Thanks. Looks like the tab only appears if the member has put something in About m.

Edited by nospam99